1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on house or pole barn house

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Dec 29, 2019.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

There is downside, CA people moving in :)

2. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Unless you are paying cash for the build, make sure you talk to your lender first. There are a few financing programs for this type of structure, but not nearly as many options as what you have with a conventional stick build home.

BrianC636 likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much is a hundred acres out there, I think you're right by Reno?

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3200 Sq ft on one floor, 40x64 shop on 11.5 acres.

Next will be a super modern type house since it’ll be the 2 of us most of the time.

5. All I know is my new shop that will be started end of Jan will have decent living quarters above the shop. I like the idea of being able to take a nap in comfort, shower out there vs dragging all the mess through the house, and it’s a good “just in case” if the wife and I aren’t agreeing on something.

michaelrc51 likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

That doesn't suck. At all!

Nice!

7. TWF2

8. TWF2

9. Boman Forklift

10. TWF2

It is oldest area here, along with golden valley where I am. Look for Tamra dr, that is my neighborhood.

11. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Thanks, we tried to be smart about it. 2x6 walls, spray foam everywhere, all brink exterior, zip board...etc.

12. Boman Forklift

Found Tamra, nice views in that area.

13. TWF2

Yea, not bad. Check that picture from balcony, about 20' left from trailer. Local wildlife :)

Attached Files:

14. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I have a 60 X 40 foot pole barn with 12foot sidewalls that I constructed a timber framed residence inside that roughly measures 20x32 . ... one bedroom , one bathroom, laundry room , and kitchen / dining area on 10& 1/2 acres on the shore of Lake Michigan . I love it !!
    I would recommend anyone wanting to do the same , that you put a “ Real roof on it . I have trusses on 2’ centers , topped with plywood and shingles .. ( I will be replacing the shingles with metal roofing in the future)
    Most pole barns have trusses on 4’ centers topped with metal riding on 2x4’s on 2’ centers . This type of roof is hard to insulate , and the sound of a heavy rain would be deafening..

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You better go out there in the winter, before you get too serious about living there. It’s ~6500’ elevation, most nighttime temps are around freezing or below for roughly 8mos of the year, and winters are absolutely brutal. There’s a reason it’s not heavily populated.

16. TWF2

Yep, that side of NV can be brutal. Could go further south but you start running in to really hot summer.
    That is what is better on this side, much better summer and winter.
    It is also very dry, no humidity.

ducnut and jrsamples like this.
  17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You are very correct. I've been looking at climate numbers on all of these places. I have some time coming up this month, so I might try to explore a bit with the FJ. I know that there was a lot of snow out that way last week, so I'm keeping an eye on that. It is something that I will have to compromise with. I want as deserted as possible, with a livable climate, at a price that I can afford, and relatively close to the places that I want to explore and ride. If I had an ideal combination, it would be something like Big Water UT, very unpopulated and both warm and cold desert. But there's nothing for sale there that's not in the millions, so that's out. Compromise.

ducnut likes this.
  18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

How do they get along with Carolina hillbilly rednecks?

19. TWF2

As far I am concerned you are welcome to offset them :D

YamahaRick and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned