1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S Reviews ?

Discussion in 'General' started by BROsiah, Dec 24, 2019.

1. BROsiah

BROsiah Well-Known Member

I tried to search on here didn't find much. Reviews online seem very positive but figured i'd ask here too since the majority of us have trucks and travel a lot to tracks. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

One of the highest rated of M&S rated, all-season-ish tires available. My buddy sells a lot of them through his shop and has had only positive feedback. We have them on her Ridgeline AWD and have nothing but positives to say, as well. We live in township, don’t get regular plowings, and are the last to get plowed. We got ~8” over a weekend, I turned off TC, thinking I might need to spin my way around, and the Honda acted like nothing was even on the ground. Silly me.

3. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

The Defender is a very good tire. I've had them on 2 trucks and my Class C RV in Michigan. They provided excellent traction in the winter and the durability was very good.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Just put a set on my Silverado last week, went up a size to 275/60/20. Have used them on a few different vehicles in the past. They are a great long lasting tire. Wish I had went ahead and put them on this truck when I bought it instead of wearing out the junk that was on it...

5. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I have been preaching about MS2's to the masses for years. Before they put the defender name on them.
    They are hard, that's why they last so long. Best tire of any by far for a truck.
    There is a reason why they are expensive. You literally could not pay me to ride on anything else.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was utterly amazed at their longevity. Put them on 2 of my personal vehicles.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yep, good tires. Quiet, good traction and last a long time. Just put some on a customer truck (2500 Silverado) and came from the stock good years. He made it a point to call me and thank me for recommending them. I'm not a Michelin fan boy but most of their tires are always worth the extra price. We put virgin Michelin's on our heavy truck too, their double the price but you get a lot more back on selling the casing later on too that no one seems to figure out.

ducnut likes this.
  8. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

My only real complaint is I don’t get the full mileage out of them. F350 pulling 18,000lbs. otherwise I keep buying them

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm on my second set on my F150 and won't buy anything else. Perfect wear for the 65K miles I had on the first set (rotated about every 8-10K miles), and they realistically still had another 5K miles in them easy. Whisper quiet, lots of wet grip, and never got brittle or cracked sidewalls.

I also just put a set on my wife's Toyota Highlander, and ever she said "Damn, these tires are so much better than the last set I had."

Considering she probably wouldn't be able to tell if her brake pads were worn down the the metal, I'd say that's a pretty glowing review.......

BROsiah likes this.
  10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have them on my duramax for winter tires. Great tires.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

How do you mount those on the engine?

rice r0cket likes this.
  12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I put some on my 1500 GMC Sierra in late October - I'll affirm what's already been said...they are an excellent tire. I went the Costco route. Michelin makes a "club"version of the Defender. Same tire, saves about $20 each.

13. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

70k outta mine.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

If you are in any type of snowbelt area, the BFGoodrich K02 are snow rated and wear pretty damn good for year round use. Over 80,000kms on the ones on my Tundra and good for at least another 10,000. And a nice agressive lug pattern.

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Had some one my Pilot. They were ok; I replaced them with Pirelli All Season Verde Plus.

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

KO2's on my f150, defenders on the excursion.. both wear incredibly well. won't go ko2 on the f150 again though, way too loud (although not as loud as some other all terrain tires), and don't do enough off road driving (almost none) to justify the big lug tread. great tire, and love the look! just the additional road noise is annoying.
    Gonna try the michelin AT2 if i can find the size i want for the f150. last time when i ended up with k02's, couldn't get em in a 20' wheel for the f150

ducnut likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d echo MELK.

I have KO2’s on my Silverado. They’re way louder than the Michelins on the Honda and don’t feel like the BFG’s are as good on hardpack and ice, either. If the BFG tread can dig, like deeper accumulation, they’re good. But, for normal, winter highway/interstate travel, I’d go Defenders or a dedicated winter tire, if one lives in an area where roads stay crappy.

18. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Going to have to take a look at these but doubt they are what I need. Ford E150 conversion van bought a couple years ago and had brand new good year wranglers. I can’t stand them, I’ve had them balanced just to make sure that wasn’t what’s causing the terrible ride. Kinda like one of them is out of balance or has a bad spot. They are a all terrain I guess but I need something for the road only and don’t drive it in the winter either. Just want a tire that rides perfectly smooth.

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

consider finding a dealership or shop with a road force balancing machine. Better option for bigger heavier truck tires. costs about $100 total more vs regular balance of the 4 tires.

fastfreddie and ducnut like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The Michelins would be perfect for you, but, they’re expensive. I’d suggest getting on Discount Tire and Tire Rack websites and do some looking.

^^^ Dead-on.

I have 10-ply KO2’s. The selling dealer spin-balanced them, twice. Then, I took them to an independent repair shop to be spin-balanced. After three attempts, I went to Discount Tire and had them road force-balanced. The tire tech showed me the printouts from how bad they were balanced, the run outs of the rims and tires, and the final balance. I left from there and put the truck against the speed-limiter and the balance was perfect, throughout. I’ll be road force-balancing, from now on. And, the service from Discount Tire (SPI) was stellar, as well.