1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBD/OBD2 Scanner Recommendation???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Dec 21, 2019.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok so the tool addiction gene is kicking and I'm thinking I need to add an OBD scanner to my tool cabinet in the garage, especially since one of the offspring will be getting her license in a few more months and it won't be a newer cage fo sho so I suspect I'll be needing one.

I used to have an OBD attachment for (get this) my old Palm Pilot which worked ok I suppose but I have no idea where any of that is sooo I want one again. This time, I'm leaning towards one that does more than just read/clear the basic faults, I think, I'm wanting one of those bidirectional units, I think they call it!?!?!?

Educate me, what info do you guys have on these things and whatcha recommend???

PS- I've read good reviews on the Zurich Pro from Harbor Freight....a grand is a bit much but if it proves to be a feature packed gem that others want 10+% more than I'd consider it.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Pick up a used Snap-On MT2500 from fleabay.

Just make sure it has the appropriate cartridges and connectors for your vehicle(s).

XFBO likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

bluetooth one from ebay or amazon with the $5 torque app on your phone. Does realtime and data logging. Best $20 ever. I dont think there is a "Free" version of torque on apple phones.

cm1744, Knotcher, CRA_Fizzer and 3 others like this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's also what I have. Works great for a very low price.

XFBO likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Have the $5 Bluetooth scanner and OBD LINK for iOS

torque for Android is stellar

TurboBlew and XFBO like this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Another vote for Torque.

XFBO likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I like my Autel MS906-TS. Not exactly cheap but covers everything we own pretty well.

XFBO likes this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Autel 802/805 "all systems" is well under $200 and will do more than 99% of home mechanics need. I'm sure the generic sub $100 ones from HF or the auto parts store will cover 95%

XFBO likes this.
  9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

bidirectional just means it can control things the modules control, for example a shift solenoid for the transmission etc.. I'd shop for a used snap on one with a decent software version. Most of the cheap ones won't communicate with every module on the car, they may do ECM/ TCM and ABS. Depends on how deep in the rabbit hole you want to venture.

XFBO likes this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I've had my eye on this one for the last few days wondered if anyone was gonna mention it, do you actually own one or just heard good things about it?

I think I'm gonna give this one a try!

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have it. I'm no electronics/tech guy by any means for the record. But my own research led me to it on the Excursion forums when i was having misfire issues on my Excursion. It was highly raved by that crowd.

It has the T6 mode that gets deep into the ECU. It gives you real time analysis of fuel/air mixtures, mph, water temp, rpms....all kinds of other chit i dont fully understand. It can detect /analyze things that may not be throwing an engine code.

I keep the blue driver plugged in at all times and 10 spare coils in my V10 exursion. I feel its another tool in the box especially when traveling.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    TurboBlew and XFBO like this.
  13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Mode 6 isnt something used too much, its for seeing cont and non cont monitors. It was used a lot for ford because their misfire monitor sucked and the vehicle could be misfiring all day and never set a code, mode 6 allowed you to see the test failures well before the code was to set. Their misfire data has improved to real time over the years. Mode 6 isnt used a whole lot, although maybe useful for emissions tested areas and the techs in those regions.

XFBO and gapman789 like this.
  14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

OBDLink MX bluetooth and an app.

XFBO likes this.
  15. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap bluetooth scanner, preferably on amazon

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Define cheap?

If under $25 and you're using an android phone this one seemed pretty popular> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/?tag=adekcar-20

You'll need that Torq app as well, they used to have a limited free one but some above have recommended their Pro version.

I received my Bluedriver today, seems pretty neat....kinda hoping they keep developing it further and offer more function to it. I just read today that the scanner is already capable of bi-directional function but just not programmed yet. They're probably trying to figure out how to upcharge that feature, one of the functions I kinda think would be nice....if I'm reading it correctly....is that you'll be able to electronically bleed your brake system with that function via the ABS computer....anyone can confirm that??? :confused:

I know the lil lady's car recently had some MIL lights on, the front passenger side ABS sensor was bad and it threw the ABS and 4WD lights, once I replaced it with a new one, they went off on their own. Curious if they show up on this BD app.

17. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

I've got this one and the free Torque app.

Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Check Engine Light for Android - Compatible with Torque Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e6waEbNBKHAD3

Never had a problem with either and might take about 10 seconds to recognize it the first time I fire up Torque.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The automated bleed just cycles the valves and the motor to help get air from the hydraulic portion of the ABS unit, sometimes you have to, alot of times you don't. Edit- Of course you need to bleed the system as normal after doing the automated bleed..

Honestly being this is what i do for a living, it's ok i guess for a hobbyist thing to monkey with, but when people come to my door, after they've tried 500$ worth of parts because their computer told them the flux capacitor was bad really irks me. Don't put a lot of the faith in it. You can get erroneous info, false code descriptors and a whole slew of things if the software isn't factory level. I even have to question Snap on level data at times. We pay a lot of money for not only the hardware, but the software and information that needs to go along with it for accurate diagnosis. I'm just fore warning you as i see it at least once a week. Someone goes to a parts store that has a "free" scanner, they sell the part (people forget that's how they make money, NOT for diagnosis) and they end up spending way more than they likely need to.

XFBO likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yah the parts stores are hilariously amusing when the bust out the blow moulded case or roller cart to diagnose a vehicle...lol. Then those same folks will roll up to a professional shop and expect people to drop everything like the parts counter monkeys are willing to do...lol