1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing glue from seat pad

Discussion in 'Tech' started by drnick_710, Dec 14, 2019.

1. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

Hey all, I have to remove my seat pad to repaint my tail. How would I go about removing the adhesive from the pad to prep it for going back on the bike? What type of glue do people use? Thanks.

2. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Go to a paint dealer. To remove adhesive, get adhesive remover. they'll also have the adhesive for foam.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if the paint is the same color, I wouldn't bother removing the pad. just mask the pad off and spray.

last time I removed my seatpad, I didnt remove the glue. I scuffed it with 80 grit and applied new spray glue. it worked great.

4. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

Any tips on removing a race seat pad from a Superbike tail? I’ve got 85% of it off. The rest looks as if I’ll have to take a razor blade to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rllamarca

rllamarca Well-Known Member

Goof-off or Goo Gone works wonders on adhesive, but I'm not sure how safe it is for paint... but if you're repainting anyway, it shouldn't be an issue. I like to let it sit on the adhesive to loosen it up and then wipe off with a sturdy rag, usually terrycloth.

6. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

If it's some type of contact cement, which it probably is, lacquer thinner should dissolve it.

7. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Try pouring some boiling water on the bottom of the seat pan. Depending on what adhesive was used the heat should soak through the pan and soften up the adhesive for removal without worrying about overheating anything.