1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric sportsbike performance

Discussion in 'General' started by testiesalmon, Dec 18, 2019.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Not in straight rhythm though. They are proving themselves there from the few rounds I’ve seen

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

They have 50AMP and 30AMP circuits at NCBike that will run a an AC and tire warmers just fine if you don't use some cheap ass long extension cord. I would think that would be quite sufficient to charge an electric bike. Unless you get there early and/or reserve a spot, you might have to put back in the gravel to find one available.

3. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-fea...fighter-lfr19-electric-motorcycle-part-1.html

This is probably the best one I've seen yet. Super competitive weight and power and it seems like they were able to get through a race weekend. If they produced this bike I would absolutely try running it.

Worst case buy a few spare batteries and swap them out between rounds. I haven't seen a water cool battery unit in a bike yet so I think there wouldn't be much to it.

Banditracer likes this.
  4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Full torque from zero rpm. That's the attraction. I used to work for Tesla and driving their cars showed me how much of a difference that can make as I absolutely roasted the Porsche trying to pass me while I was driving a Model S. It wasn't even close. And don't get the idea that I'm some sort of electric-car-save-the-planet-fanboi. My screensaver was a picture of me on my gas powered racebike the entire time I worked there. It's about performance and efficiency and there are already performance advantages that electric cars and bikes have and those advantages will only get better while the disadvantages continue to get smaller.

You don't need a generator at all. Ever. The solution to needing one is actually pretty simple: You put a battery pack in your trailer that has the capacity to charge the bike during the entire weekend. This is either charged at home by plugging it in or better yet by solar panels mounted on top of the trailer. Yes, I know that solar panels will not produce enough power to fully charge a battery pack over the course of a race weekend. They don't need to because they do the charging while sitting in your driveway between race weekends. As for not being able to charge enough between sessions, that's not true either. You have to have the right charging equipment to do a fast charge. I've seen the equipment that can so far exceed the energy requirements of a trackday as to make that argument laughable . It's like people think you can't modify things on an electric bike.

pscook and lookmtb like this.
  5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

One of the AHRMA guys uses retractable solar panels on his trailer to charge. It's a pretty neat setup. With the way Solar tech is improving and costs going down, that's probably one of the most attractive/viable options if your goal is to not use gas at all.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That's 100 lbs more than I want to try and wrestle around a track, and no amount of HP is going to help other than in a straight line.

7. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I raced against one. A brammo I think. Saw it crash in a pack of bikes on the first lap. Never saw it race again so I don't know if it was a write off or the dude gave up or what.

I hate the idea of losing a manual transmission. Yeah, I'm one of those guys. But I love the idea of instant torque and being able to hoon around without attracting a lot of attention.

8. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to a convenient opportunity for a ride on an electric. I think it'll be a blast.
    The next step seems to be ultra-capacitor/battery hybrids, and NAWA thinks it can look like this:

https://newatlas.com/motorcycles/na...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-5ba6aa68d4-93020849

This would be a good track option with the high energy recovery and heavy braking involved.
    Like it or not, change is coming, it's going to happen, might as well enjoy it.

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Electric bikes are an answer to a question 3 people were asking.

MachineR1 and Gorilla George like this.
  10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Do these electric race bikes have regenerative braking?

11. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what makes the capacitor such a good thing for a hybrid system.

"It's recouping 80-90 percent of the energy of your braking," Nawa CEO Ulrik Grape tells us, "and letting you use that right away when the light goes green."

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

My Alta has regen braking, four maps switchable on the fly, and built in TC. Most fun dirt bike I have ever ridden. The Supermoto version is also a blast. Too bad they don't make any more of them.

pscook likes this.
  13. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Not a sportbike but are those KTM SX-E 5's out yet? I saw one in my email newsletter and it looks stupid fun. Looked on cycletrader and couldn't find one anywhere

14. cf

cf Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to convert an XR100 to electric so I could use it as a backyard trainer in a suburban environment. People would still complain I'm sure, but at least they would need to be honest and object for no good reason at all, because the noise part of it would be taken away. Also on the play bike you don't need much energy capacity because you wouldn't (well I wouldn't) be doing laps for hours. I'd be good with something really lightweight that could do 20 or 30 backyard laps at a time before needing to recharge.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Once I move and build my moto playground, I'll buy some KTM e-bikes for their lack of maintenance and noise. I'll still ride real bikes on that track, but I also want to just ride sometimes for a bit or be able to ride when a big bike wouldn't be neighborly.

SuddenBraking likes this.