1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To get you into that Christmas giving spirit...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Dec 11, 2019.

1. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

feel free to change the first amendment. heck, it CLEARLY states it: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

:beer:

also, YOU are free to make all the tax deductible, charitable contributions you would like as well. i am all for you helping others outside the church if that helps.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m saying both are wrong To tax.

3. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That was sarcasm, right?

OTOH, I could definitely see the terminally gullible falling for such an interpretation.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

A hit piece from WaPo, no way they would print an article without any docs or evidence. Claimed the church charitable giving was not publicly available. LDS spends over $40 million a year on humanitarian aid.

https://kutv.com/news/local/latter-...lion-in-aid-to-the-needy-throughout-the-world

Some interesting responses in this thread. I see some beebers crying the gov't is wasting taxpayers money on social programs but also disparaging a major player that provides social programs outside of the gov't. So if you eliminate the churches, who is going to help provide for the poor children and old folks in need?

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:
    With out a doubt. Government needs to get out of the way and cease being an active “provider” and let the private sector do more. The churches in my area do far more good by contributing and donating work, food and clothes to the local shelters etc. and on several occasions directly to those in need. They are also significantly more efficient with performing these task as well. I’m truly amazed by the level of generosity that people give. Not like the government who spends more on administrative cost etc and only delivers 20 cents or less on the dollar. The government is as much of a blight on the majority of the people for the small amount they are of help to the others. Of course the government workers are taken care of. Everyone else, not so much.

9. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

So the senior portfolio manager for the fund, who had worked there for 9 years, has presented evidence to the IRS. He left the LDS and is scorching the earth on his way out. Yes - there is a financial reward for him if the IRS finds wrong doing. 9 years is a lot of time to collect evidence.

So the LDS have $100 Billion and have $40 million in humanitarian aid - that's like have $100,000 salary and donating $40/year to charity. Wow - that is some Biden like miserliness. The article you referenced stated $2 billion - which is admirable, but as a non-profit bringing in $7 billion, the math looks off.

The topic isn't whether churches fill needs on social programs - they obviously do and are much more efficient that any .gov agency. It's the love of money that the churches display that churns my stomach.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No loss there, sounds like she was the one they should have been helping not asking to help.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Venom51 can't do that or he will burst into flames

12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's the other way around actually...

turtlecreek likes this.
  13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It also churns my stomach. I only reference the article as rebuttal to no public info as your article reference. It is only one of many that can be found. The gist of the WaPo article is they amassed money but did not support charity which is false. LDS has around $6k per member in stockpiling reserve but the Scientology group has around $100k per member but where is the IRS/WaPo?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They've gone clear.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Someone can't math. This guy claims he estimates the LDS church holdings at ~$100B. That doesn't mean ~$100B per year. The LDS church has given over $2B to outside charities. Their own charities aren't included in that figure. The actual holdings are also closer to $40B according to real sources. So the percentage is quite a bit different than the above Biden-esque shitty public school math equation.
    The hit piece also misses out on the fact that none of what they have done is illegal. Just like the Trump witch hunt.
    But hey, sure, some guy trying to go "scorched Earth" because he got his feelers hurt and is looking for a payday.

16. turtlecreek

maybe a clean double entendre? :)

17. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

18. turtlecreek

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Wellllllll...

If you’d actually read the article, the church didn’t pay off anyone’s debts, they bought the debt ($5.3m) for $50,000, and discharged it.

So the rest of us get to make up for the $5.25 million that wasn’t collected in higher rates.

But hey, at least 5,555 people got a free lunch. :moon: