1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V 4,5

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by cyclocrossfool, Dec 10, 2019.

1. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

does anybody race V4 or 5 , 6lw in the north central region? if i decide to in 2020 will i be the only one on the grid? tom p

Chuck78 likes this.
  2. Chuck78

Chuck78 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing myself for the Midwest area! V5 is more well-attended from what I gather. V4 at AMA Vintage Days is likely much better than other dates.
    Some friends & I are building up bikes with V4 & V5 in mind.

3. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

I should be there for V5 and V6MW on my KZ650.

I missed the second round this year due to a job issue, but hopefully I'll hit both rounds again next year.

Jball has made the trip to Grattan for V5 and V6LW from time to time, but I can't speak for his 2020 plans.

Regards,
    Chad

Chuck78 likes this.
  4. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

I guess I should've clarified that I was referring to Grattan throughout my post. :rolleyes:

5. cyclocrossfool

for pittsburg and nelson im thinking V5 and V6MW (?) for my KZ750. V3/4 or V6LW for the H1, plus maybe 1 other bike.

Chuck78 likes this.
  6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I did V5 and V6lw at Mid-O and the GNF this year. I took it to the first Nelson and crashed in practice and didn't race.

Mostly doing endurance but will try to hit a round or two depending on the schedule.

Be interested to see the KZ750!

Good luck

Chuck78 likes this.
  7. cyclocrossfool

sent you a pic

8. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

I run V4 and sometimes V5 at grattan and mid ohio, just depends on my schedule

Chuck78 likes this.
  9. cyclocrossfool

H1-[​IMG] ……..[​IMG]

Chuck78, dave3593, rd400racer and 3 others like this.
  10. cyclocrossfool

could be a nice V4 project.[​IMG]

Chuck78 likes this.
  11. Chuck78

Nice! Did you pick that up?
    78 GS550E? or 79?
    I've got an identical bike here, & hooked a buddy up with another (C, not E, wire spoke)

I picked up my 78 GS550 for $300. Previous owner "rebuilt" the carbs but could not get it to run... Carb order was put back, cyl's 1-4, as 2-4-1-3, so they looked sort of correct, but the center fuel tee was plugged into the only fuel rail casting holes that were not thru-drilled, as they were meant to be on the outside!
    Got a GS650G top end for it (673cc) & some custom pistons to make it 740cc 10.3:1. Puts it out of the range of 550cc bike classes & into the big cc bikes, but will make a very fun machine regardless. Probably keep it a street machine but with my buddies' track bike plans of KZ550 & GS650E, perhaps I may go thus route anyways!

Getting a late start on my 1st track bike, keeping the stock '79 GS425 complete, picked up a dismantled basketcase '77 GS400 to build up with parts I've been gathering for the GS425 track bike build. Boxing up the cylinders to send to L.A. to be re-sleeved & bored for some 920cc GS750 pistons for 489cc 10.5:1, & get the head ported by Rapid Ray Rains aka Suzuki Ray in Garden Grove California.
    Probably build up a 449cc Wiseco K844 engine with my other parts as a backup engine & if I ever race in AHRMA, where 460cc or so is the limit for Vintage Lightweight Superbike.
    I think I recall this bike I have planned being appropriate for V3 spec, but figured once I get out on the track, aside from AMA Vintage Days, I'd probably be up against mostly V4 bikes...

12. cyclocrossfool

79 I think. $200 but w/ no title (not a problem , I have a box of titles). ive yet to look it over. ive been working to get the FZR ready for pittsburg in May. if I cant get that (FZ) ready in time ill race something else. also have a 400 too (yam seca 400). nowhere to race it except ahrma. any idea where I can get a 4-1 for the Suzuki ?

13. Chuck78

MAC on the 4-1. I think you can just get the header from them if you have other muffler cans. Theirs is big thick heavy steel, and the stock chambered baffle I'm not a fan of either. The performance baffle is good, but still in a big thick heavy shell

14. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

GREAT to hear about some of the older bikes!

I have a V5 GS1000 but it is apart right now. In 2020 I will be riding V6 and maybe V7. I hope to have the V5 back in 2021.

Chuck78 likes this.