1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Year end bonus

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Dec 12, 2019.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I got a brisket. And I like it.

Phl218 and cav115 like this.
  2. sdg

sdg *

We got bagles.

They were yummy. One of my friends got three.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

He either works harder than you or is pushier than you.

sdg likes this.
  4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I wish everyone had this mentality. Not because people do/don't deserve them, but I encounter some very talented people who get roped into taking a lower wage for bonus potential. Then they are back on the market because those bonuses never came to fruition.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I never understood people that get pissed when they don't get a bonus. You trade your time for your paycheck. That is what you agreed to. People that have the "the company wouldn't be here without me" kill me. You get your part of your trade in your weekly pay. That is all you are guaranteed.

Gorilla George, cav115 and R1Racer99 like this.
  6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

My bonus is that Christmas happens to land on a Tuesday and Wednesday this year which are my normal days off. Every other year I lose money because I can’t work. Holidays suck when you only get paid when you’re working.

7. sdg

sdg *

Oh. And our bonus program pays in April and they say too many of
    Nah, just fatter.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I generally view my boss as somewhat "frugal" (when grading on a curve for people in their low 30s worth 9 figures), but we've historically given away 6 figures in goods and merchandise at our holiday party.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

While horrible for morale, that is a brilliant retention strategy - my last company did that, and the higher you go the more your bonus is as a % of your total comp. Was always hard to leave because before May (when the bonus is paid out) you're basically giving up 50% of last year's comp and if you leave as soon as the bonus is paid out without an offsetting signing bonus at your new gig, you've just pissed away almost half of the current year's bonus potential.

Fuck that place.

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I picked up a load in Johnstown, Ohio, Thanksgiving morning and delivered it that afternoon in Gordonsville, Va. Then got dispatched home. No Holiday bonus for working Thansgiving because I went home as I was told to do.

Now I'm due in for hometime December 20th, leaving out the morning of the 24th. Won't get a Christmas bonus for that, either.

11. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Today is payday at work and our Year End Meeting is today. The regular pay amount was direct deposited in the early AM. They think its So Cool to give out bonus checks, and they want to keep the bonus amount secret. If I get the bonus check tonight, I will have to physically go to my bank to deposit it. :moon:
    They are wasting paper to print the checks, and making everyone waste gas driving to their bank. :Putter:

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Jesus fuck some of you guys are curmudgeonly.

lazlo, The Great One, brex and 2 others like this.
  13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Sooo, you got a bonus, but unhappy how they delivered it? :D

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This.

Having said that. I always give big Christmas bonus`s. They are very rarely followed by even a "thanks"

Lots of experience after 35 yrs...

15. sdg

sdg *

...might as well finish the statement since autocomplete started it for me:

It's performance based and too many people make all of the goals. They docked me one point last year even though I had completed that goal to the highest level.

Yeah.

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Awesome.

I wish I could find more people like you who are as conscientious about their work and get the work/pay reality.

The thing is, good employers gladly pay these people well.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. When I go into those types of negotiations, I keep two things in mind:

1. What is going to be guaranteed? I don't factor in any compensation that comes with a clause like "if this happens, you'll get...".
    2. I am always prepared to walk. I am not arrogant during the discussions or anything like that. I am courteous, professional, etc...but I always handle the negotiations while thinking "you need me more than I need you".

I know what I bring to the table and what it is worth in this market. If the offer isn't acceptable, I will simply say "thanks for your time and consideration, we are done here", and I walk.

IMO, with any negotiation, whether it is a job or a car or anything, if someone isn't willing and/or able to walk away, they have no negotiating power.

cav115 likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

"Thanks for your time, this is where we part as friends" is my go to when it gets to that point.

My gold medal moment is trying to walk from a deal on a new work van over $15 after days of negotiations. The van served me well.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I had one of these interactions THIS MORNING. I'm not even in a place where I can talk about it yet.

cav115 likes this.
  20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’m thankful for the extra at the end of the year, say thank you and I think I’m pretty aware of pay vs work since I don’t bitch about it except on the bbs :)

My boss isn’t as aware that I’m doing outside sales, inside sales, counted every item in inventory, load the trucks when rednecks decide to do a shitty job and more. Some of that has gotten better because I’ve started working on the issues of why people Were underperforming and managing better but I figure the low pay but good experience will aid me if I ever own a company one day. Being 20-30 years younger took some time and ballz to get the mill workers to get on board but it’s getting better. I’ve learned how a boss that takes lots of vacation and isn’t in tune with his employees affects morale and on the flip side,
    If you do go on a lot of vacations there are ways to still be involved and not be two months behind when you return.

Anyways, I’m mostly talking to myself but I don’t think I’ll have a job That’s more than just survival for awhile but I’m hoping one day I will and everything I’m learning now is setting up for that.

I know we are getting bonuses so some will go to savings and some will go to saving for a trip to JAPAN

I’ll need some Japan travel advice soon!