1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Bike Project Underway

Discussion in 'General' started by riversbikes, Nov 6, 2019.

1. riversbikes

riversbikes Well-Known Member

Picked up some gloves on the weekend -- one size was all they had available, so we'll see how it goes. Going to be replacing the shock and pulling the swingarm for swingarm pivot inspection and regreasing (might as well, while we are at it). Got a pretty neat Showa "kit" shock from Ebay.uk to install. Never seen one like it before. Deffo a Showa product, but with adjustable length, rebound, compression, and hydraulic preload. It wouldn't have fit on a stock striple with underseat exhausts, so I guess its a good thing I got the rorty SP racing muffler. Will also make sure the kiddos wear eye protection. More pics to follow!

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

This is badass. I wish we had stuff like this when I was in school. My dad being a career mechanic, naturally I picked up on some stuff. But I think he somewhat avoided teaching me "too much" because he hated his job and was afraid I would like wrenching only to realize at 40 years old I had made a "bad" career choice. The end result was some holes in my knowledge that I've had to fill in over the years, many of which by learning some lessons the hard way. I would've jumped at an opportunity like you are giving these kids.

3. riversbikes

My dad was an aircraft mechanic (he passed his AME in his 40s), and he was able to teach me soooo many tips and tricks to make mechanical life easier. That's what I hope to pass along. As a kid I was constantly taking apart my BMX race bikes to try to make them faster, and spent my formative years with Lego and Meccanno. Unfortunately, aside from a few kids who play with Lego, less and less students are doing any wrenching on anything, let alone a motorcycle. Small projects like this though do allow those kids who are interested to do a bit of work on something mechanical.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Man if you tell me you play AC/DC in the shop while they work I'm moving to Canada for the cool factor.

L8RSK8R and Shenanigans like this.
  5. riversbikes

Tragically Hip, Rush, Sloan, Chilliwack, and Neil Young! #hoser4life

L8RSK8R, scottn, Shenanigans and 2 others like this.
  6. riversbikes

More work on the street triple today -- inspected and greased the rear suspension linkage, including using a bit of emery paper and WD40 to polish up the bushings as there was a bit of corrosion on one of them. Got skunked a bit as the shock I bought must be for a later model year triumph 675... close, but does not fit perfectly. The CBR600RR shock went back on, either "for good", or "for now"...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Any of the kids mention wanting to come to the track and watch you race it ?

8. riversbikes

Another bike club session after school today -- jobs were to drain the oil and remove the filter, as well as swap out the standard street triple forks with the fancy adjustable legs from the Daytona 675. While we were at it, we'd test fit the calipers and install the spacers to adapt the R6 stoppers to the Daytona forks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steeltoe and YamahaRick like this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

it’s what gets played in my shop too.:D
    10CE8659-AA49-4AB9-96ED-F29E57D8F3D1.jpeg

10. riversbikes

As a bonus, one of the fellas that night was asking for suggestions on "his first bike" -- 4 years too soon, but that's still a win. I of course strongly pushed him in the direction of a Ninja 250/300, CBR 500, etc as a first bike. I'll dig up some old magazines to give him as well as a starting point.

Shenanigans, pscook and Banditracer like this.
  11. Critter

Critter Registered

PM Sent......

12. riversbikes

Another bike club session in the books. Rear shock (re) fitted, gearing changed (+1 rear/-1 front), coolant drained, and oil heat exchanger removed. Tail fairing fitted as well. Starting to look racey!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RichB, L8RSK8R, TSAVO5150 and 5 others like this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks for the update!

YamahaRick likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I absolutely love these pictures.

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

One bunch of cool kids. Keep the progress reports coming.

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Who's 12yr old is running around in an Anheuser-Busch t-shirt?! :D

Are they getting the cursing down when they puncture their fingers with safety-wire?

17. riversbikes

I'm just glad I haven't swore in front of them yet. I was a bit lax on the dress code re: the shirt -- they needed to bring work clothes to wear/get dirty and I was OK with a "beer shirt".
    Besides, us Hosers drink Molson's!
    (Insert "real beer" joke here).

18. riversbikes

Another productive bike club session in the books -- new triumph filter installed, and oil added. New renthal grips and shorty levers. Clutch cable fitted, front fender secured. Front ram air assembly mounted, complete with gauges and front mask/fairing. Getting there, still lots to do...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TurboBlew, RichB, HPPT and 2 others like this.
  19. riversbikes

Another bike club meeting in the books -- installed engine case covers, rad guard, shark fin (on the swingarm) and got rid of the chain guard. We've taken the rear wheel in and out so often we're experts! Coolant drain plug removed so it can be drilled for safety wire. Installation of the case covers allowed the student to practice using a torque wrench.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Banditracer and masshole like this.
  20. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

This would be so awesome, back in the day I would have been all over this in school. Props to you, one awesome principal.