1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody know of any good race schools in California or wanna help a newb get into racing this Winter

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by R6newb, Nov 17, 2019.

1. R6newb

R6newb Member

So yeah my post is there's some information on good schools for track classes for Novice track guys like me. I have not been on a track yet and live in the Midwest currently. Snow and cold are comming and I usually come to California in the Winter/Spring to get away from the snow here.

So:
    1. Anyone of you guys want to help a newb get into racing this Winter from California? I will be flying and have a r6 that wont be comming with me, and it's not set up for track anyway.

2. Anyone of you know of a really good private Super bike school in Cali that rents bikes and gear for dudes like me that are flying to Cali?
    A school that teaches 1 on 1 or in small group setting? Google searched and came up with a few But not sure if they are going to work for me cause I'm a beginner racer.

3. I'll be racing BIR in Minnesota this summer and plan to race at Road America if I do well at BIR.

4. Yes I'll need a track bike , hopefully I'll find one on here sometime. Just right now with it being Winter I wont be buying a track bike to have sit in my garage till late Spring here in Minnesota.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Where in CA??
    I keep my bike at a garage in NorCal... makes doing west coast events super easy.
    Chuckwalla has a very busy schedule for bike events...
    https://chuckwalla.com/motorcycle-events

They have NRC (new racer classes) and Ridiculous Racing classes
    https://www.motorcycle.com/features...ke-motorcycle-rickdiculous-racing-school.html

As for rentals...
    https://feellikeapro.configio.com/ is a real first class organization. A true fly/ride affair.

But you may want to start shopping for a bike you can keep on the west coast. All the major car rental companies offer rental pickup trucks like Tacos, Frontiers, or Colorados for reasonable rates. That would make things really convenient for transport. A 5x10 storage unit is less than $50/month in most cities.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

YCRS is currently in AZ for the winter. They have multi-day schools, taught by some of the best racers on the planet.

https://ridelikeachampion.com/

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: Take the road trip.

5. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

If you've never been on track before, a new racer school will not be your best choice. The CVMA new racer school assumes you have track experience and you will be out in "A" group with the fast guys during the school. The CVMA school is more about learning the flags, how to find your grid spot, what to expect at tech inspection etc., and not about riding. The other options mentioned, like YCRS and Rickdiculous would be better options, since they are working on riding skills. I just moved from the southwest to the Twin Cities and will be racing with CRA at BIR next year also. Even though I am already a CVMA licensed racer, I will most likely do the CRA new racer school in the spring, so look me up!

6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Race Road America even if you don’t do well at BIR

Tj Hunter likes this.
  7. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

You may want to consider doing mini-moto. They are easy to find, you can put it anywhere and there are 5-6 tracks all with in 60-70 miles from LA. I am looking to go that route right now, take up less space, they are easy to work on, cheap, and I my kids are 4 and 5 so I hope to get them into mini racing soon.

I am a current CRA racer (I hope to always be, its a wonderful organization), I live in LA and fly back for a weekend in the summer. It does help that my friends always have several bikes sitting around to ride. Ill try to help where I can, PM me if you need anything.

8. Chip

Chip Registered

Get $200 off ChampSchool now until the end of the year... www.champschool.com

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/more-on-yamaha-champions-riding-schools-2020-schedule/

January 10 – January 11, 2020 Sepang International Circuit – Selangor, Malaysia

January 30 – January 31, 2020 Palm Beach International Raceway – Jupiter, FL

February 17 – February 18, 2020 Inde Motorsports Ranch – Wilcox, AZ

March 2 – March 3, 2020 Buttonwillow Raceway Park – Buttonwillow, CA

March 23 – March 24, 2020 Inde Motorsports Ranch – Wilcox, AZ

April 14 – April 15, 2020 Inde Motorsports Ranch – Wilcox, AZ

April 27 – April 28, 2020 Pittsburgh International Race Complex – Wampum, PA

May 18, 2020 (ChampDay with N2) New Jersey Motorsports Park – Millville, NJ

May 19 – May 20, 2020 New Jersey Motorsports Park – Millville, NJ

June 16 – June 17, 2020 New Jersey Motorsports Park – Millville, NJ

June 16 – June 17, 2020 The Ridge Motorsports Park – Shelton, WA

August 3 – August 4, 2020 Pittsburgh International Race Complex – – Wampum, PA

September 7 – September 8, 2020 New Jersey Motorsports Park – Millville, NJ

October 3 – October 4, 2020 Willow Springs International Raceway – Rosamond, CA

October TBA, 2020 Inde Motorsports Ranch – Wilcox, AZ

November 7 – November 7, 2020 Arizona Motorsports Park – Phoenix, AZ

November TBA, 2020 Inde Motorsports Ranch – Wilcox, AZ

December TBA 2020 Inde Motorsports Ranch – Wilcox, AZ

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  9. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

I have a track prepped Aprilia Mille R I'll sell you with lots of little goodies on it. Great bike located in Southern CA

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

L8RSK8R likes this.
  10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I loved riding my big 2001 lumpy RSVR, even though I was faster on the '98 GSXR 750.
    The sound, torque, the pull off the corners...great feeling.

Chaplain45 likes this.