1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racers interaction/practice with their road track bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by skiz, Nov 29, 2019.

1. skiz

skiz Member

I come from a Mx background and am not familiar with road track rules (rules at the highest levels, MotoGP, World Superbike). I hear about these scheduled official tests and I wonder about the rules at this level of the sport. When a racer is not participating in an official test, what kind of restrictions are imposed on him/her for practice. Can they take their bike out on to a random track of their teams choosing and ride around / practice.?

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

For Wera anyone can practice at any time, and lots of people do track days just for that reason. I think MotoAMerica has some restrictions about going to a track they will race at certain period before the race. Other than that a lot of pros will run club races off season to practice, test equipment etc.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

MotoGP racers can ride in their own bikes as often as they want to. But there are restrictions on the tracks where MotoGP races are held. You cannot practice there within a certain amount of time (I can't remember) of the race.

Most of them do not train with street superbikes anyway. They work mostly with dirt bikes and supermoto. A couple of guys that I know of own and practice on older Moto 2 bikes: Zarco and Rabat. Zarco used to train a lot on R6s when he was in Moto to, then R1s. But like I said, they are the exception. Most guys he use strictly dirt bikes, as far as I know.

I have no idea what the world superbike guys do.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Chase Rea around? :D

Gorilla George and Newyork like this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Rossi and his vr46 guys ride r1s and r6s all the time it seems

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks. I remember reading something about that, but I did not know that it was a regular thing.

noles19 likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Rossi could ride an R1 at any GP track, as long as its not 14 days before a race weekend. most of the testing restrictions only apply to riding GP machinery. Most of the GP riders only ride literbikes if they are coming back from injury, coaching, or doing PR stuff. Its just not useful training for them otherwise.

Moto2 riders cant test Triumphs within 100cc of the 765cc Moto2-spec engine. back when the CBR600RR engine was used, they couldn't test CBRs. but using an R6 was fine. theres a similar rule for Moto3 as well, within 50cc if the same brand.

WSBK limits testing to 8 days of riding outside of the WSBK-organized days, and nothing within the 2 weeks prior to an event. This applies when using the same class of machinery. Stock bikes are allowed for coaching and promotional events.

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

turbulence likes this.