1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

portable power packs/jump starters

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Nov 29, 2019.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I have been thinking about getting a portable jump starter/power pack for a while, seeing some deals on them today.

How long does the unit hold power? Can it sit for a year and still jump start a car? There are also some much smaller brick-sized lithium-ion units. The amperage on those looks comparable or even better but do they have enough capacity to do the job? I don't really need one with an air compressor, inverter, etc. Just portable jump starting capability.

Looking for some experience on these.

2. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

I've used the Shorai and Anti-Gravity with good success. Had one sitting on the shelf for a year and it had plenty of juice to start my Honda ES6500 generator without issue last week.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The little li on ones work well and usually can charge usb devices etc. The big ones are more commercial and have a sealed battery that can be replaced. We use both and the big ones work better for really dead stuff, the li on ones work well on stuff that the car battery just doesnt have the ooomph but isnt completely wasted. For portability id get a larger capacity li on one, they hold charge for a long time, havnt used mine in a year, still good.

4. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yes thats the brand we use as well, hold up well being used daily in winter.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've got nothing to add on experience, but thanks to the OP for making me check - bought it for $70 a couple of weeks ago and it's selling for $45 today. Is very highly rated but again, I haven't used it to vouch for it.

upload_2019-11-29_12-4-5.png

acorn27 likes this.
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Harbor Freight Gahdammit.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

18V drill battery and 24" of 12/2.

9. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Thanks for posting! I ended up buying the 800a version of that just now. It was only $4 more than the 600a, and $10 less than a different 450a starter I was looking at elsewhere.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

12. gapman789

Had a home depot ad pop up for this, Dewalt 1400, digital, with air compressor. When i clicked the link, i literally watched the price go from $114.99 to $149. Guess that sale ended at that split second? Damn it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...w3-fbiw66pIWXKneHnhoCpaMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then i saw this at rural king....$119.99 CAT 2000, no compressor....1000 cranking amps...The high cranking amps is what i'm looking for.

https://www.ruralking.com/cat-2000-...DvsIcOlhBHQBfugA2PBpD8LBcMMWqjbRoCBuoQAvD_BwE

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That change was most likely a google optimize redirect test. Did the URL change? Based on the URL you pasted, it's from their Google Shopping feed so if the ad showed a lower price, they'll get a wrist slap from Google if you want to report them.

14. gapman789

It was a Home Depot ad sent by HD to my email....I have an 'account' with HD.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@gapman789 check It again, it just came up $114 for me.

jasonhise likes this.
  16. gapman789

Still $149...I put it in my cart thinking that may trigger the lower price?
    Can you post your link?

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's seems like some false advertising. I checked now and it is 149, but originally I just clicked on your link and it came up with the low price.

18. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have the Antigravity one. Love it! I"ve jump started at least 5 vehicles with it and even run a 1500lb ATV winch off it multiple times. Leave it in my truck so it's subject to extreme heat and sometimes cold. I charge it back up about every 3 or 4 months and it's always been ready to go. Soon as it's done I"ll buy another one or either get the heavy duty model that has more cranking amps