1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Truck reveal happening now.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Nowhere in the United States are internal combustion vehicles illegal. Nor are there any laws in place that will make an internal combustion vehicles illegal at any point in time.
    It is incredibly unlikely that internal combustion vehicles will be illegal in my lifetime.

Banditracer and Gorilla George like this.
  3. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Any prognostication by any of us about what future laws will entail, is by definition opinion.

Careful, that Dragginass guy is gonna get mad.

4. :crackup:

Knotcher and brex like this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

How much did his solar system cost to put up?

crashman and zrx12man like this.
  6. How many countries have you visited?

There are many places with a huge population, that drive cars, but don’t even have indoor plumbing.

Who is going to provide these people will millions of EVs, and the infrastructure to support them?

Not to mention the millions of gas vehicles in the US owned by people who can’t afford a new car.

Gas vehicles won’t be illegal, or phased out in our lifetime.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

IMHO - full EV's are not happening soon on a large scale.

ICE will still have its place and most likely in hybrids, to catch up with instant torque and "no emmissions" in cities

8. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Countries? Maybe 35 in the last 35 years, why?

You do realize not everyone needs a Tesla supercharger to quit driving their gas-powered vehicle, right? Like it or not, our business is on the way out. Populations, governments and industry all agree. Hell I saw an alternate fuel commercial for ExxonMobil yesterday.
    Once most of the world's major car markets (China, EU, India, Japan) start phasing out IC vehicles, the rest of the world will follow suit. You may not like it, but it's happening.
    These 50-100k fancy EV's aren't the only solutions out there, or in development.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And why would ExxonMobil advertising alternative fuels (that they’re heavily invested in) be surprising?

Internal combustion engines aren’t going anywhere.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

From my experience when I owned a Tesla for a year or so, I saw my electric bill rise by roughly $70, but eliminate ~$150 in gas costs. so maybe 50% cost reduction depending on what vehicles you're comparing to.

I don't understand why people think their habits have to change at all to drive an EV. If you park it at home at night with an outlet near by (just about every person with a garage) you walk out to a full tank every morning. My 2014 Tesla had 260 miles of range and unless I went traveling (without bikes that's like 2 times a year) I never needed to think about charging.

Then, those two times I took it on a long trip (Columbus to DC was one of them) There are Tesla chargers almost every 100 miles for most of the united states. 10 minute stop every 200 miles felt about right to me anyways. That was with 2014 tech, this truck will let you charge faster and go longer than that.

Until every gas station has charging options EV's will never be to parity with gas in terms of travel, but for day to day commuting, its already far superior.

pscook likes this.
  11. :stupid:

12. Where is all of this going to come from?

It’s easy to sit around and say “we need to do this....”. Especially when the people making those claims stand to get their pockets lined from doing so.

But what about the hundreds of millions of people out there that cant afford a new car, or the thousands and thousands of cities that can’t support them?

Who is going to go throughout Africa, South America, and even the US, donating electric cars and upgrading infrastructure to support them?

It’s easy to be on the bandwagon for a goal when you stand to gain from it. But who is going to stay on the bandwagon when it comes to spending your own money to achieve that goal?

13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

What bandwagon? Who's sitting around saying "we need to do this"? This is already happening, and pretty much every major manufacturer is helping it happen now. Why would someone need to donate cars? Were the cars that are there now donated?

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well, California made it so I can't register my 1998 Diesel tow truck next year unless I put a new engine in it, or possibly some type of scrubbers. I only have one, so will probably sell it and buy another newer used one.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The bolt guy researched it and bought his panels, then he and his sons mounted all of it on the roof. He then paid a solar guy to wire it all up. I think it was a 30 panel system for around 15k, but would need to ask again for exact amounts.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Look at the trends, younger people aren't buying cars as much in general. Ford and others are deep diving self driving while figuring out how to survive in a market where individuals don't buy at all... Break out the tinfoil boys, I'm going all in:

EVs won't go large scale, the number of vehicles in general will decrease with individual ownership eventually drifting near zero. As noted, infrastructure limits along with just the sheer number of batteries and the limited resources needed to get them won't allow otherwise. You want to travel, you'll hail/rent/Uber as needed so one vehicle can cover multiple families. Gov will love it as travel in general will decrease and populations will continue to bunch up into metro areas. As non self driving participants on roads will be the highest threat to self driving cars, it'll be outlawed, two wheels first...

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's some bullshit. Got a friend in another state you can "sell" it to and register it in another state ? Gotta be a way work around it and stick it to the man. :D

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There are 49 other states and countless other countries that will welcome you and your smelly truck, with open arms. :beer:

brex and Banditracer like this.
  19. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

you dont have to be rich to have an EV, in china one of the most popular modes of transport is a little electric scooter, this is not just for first world. IC engines are very complex mechanically, we've just refined them so they are reliable and cheap, it's just a matter of time, and the IC engine is running out of it. Not that I plan on changing, but the new kids will make their own choices and we will all be dead.

zrx12man likes this.
  20. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

It's not surprising at all, it fits perfectly with what I've said.

IC engines are old tech and will be on the way out if not gone in my lifetime. Things are changing.