1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Bezel colour. The blue on the ceramic is very very difficult to get right, even for rolex.
    Font size on the date wheel

You could take it to a dealer and have them crack it open. I'm happy to be wrong.

socal likes this.
  2. k_cotter

k_cotter Well-Known Member

I believe you, I'm not a watch snob by any means. I understand the ceramic bezels can be inconsistent. Any time high end watches come through naked they are always taken with a grain of salt. That is why they don't resell them in those cases. Thanks for ruining my day though lol. I'll be bringing it by my local shop a to have inspected and see what he has to say.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

your not wrong. im no Rolex expert... but that isnt even a really good fake. Unless that pic was taken from space all the writing looks 'off', date on wheel is waaayyy off, crown on 12 oclock doesnt look right, etc. The best way to describe a rolex is crisp. The writing on that doesnt appear crisp to me.

That being said, there are rolex fakes that are 500-1500 and you need to be an expert to tell them apart. Even the movements. Be careful out there.

Edit....Added high quality rolex video to YouTube thread...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Supergirl likes this.
  4. Tom Grillo

Tom Grillo Member

I love my hamilton navy pioneer. i wear it every day to work

Attached Files:

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’ve seen some really good ones but there’s always a tell. On newer stuff often it’s the bracelet or the feel of the mechanical parts including bezel rotation. For some reason they all screw up the cyclops magnification too.

6. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Tuesdays (and Fridays) are titanium on leather Speedy days for me. Mondays and Thursdays are stainless steel Speedy days. Wednesdays I just toss the Seiko PADI diver on. :)

Supergirl likes this.
  7. Jedb

I waver back and forth between envy and hate....
    :crackup:

8. Jedb

Anyone here have any experience dealing with Crown & Caliber for a used watch?
    They have a Panerai 184 in and the pricing is aggressive. Just curious how people's experiences have been with them.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

362 pages of conspicuous consumption.....:rolleyes:

10. ton

ton Arf!

fair to say the entire forum could be described similarly, whether it's motorcycles, cars, whisky, firearms, vacuum cleaners...

that said, a huge chunk of the discussion in this thread revolves around watches that are far from luxury goods.

JBraun likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, our entire business is y'all having a hobby. To some it may be a necessity of life but push come to shove it's a want not a need.

JBraun likes this.
  12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Unless you have a bedazzled Hublot, in my experience, it is rare for someone to notice an expensive watch. I actually like that it's kinda inconspicuous.

ton, JBraun, yzfpat and 1 other person like this.
  13. ton

ton Arf!

NTTAWWT ;)

Jedb and SteveThompson like this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Some people don't get it, and you don't have to, but very little of what is discussed in this thread is conspicuous. My most expensive watches are invisible to all but the biggest watch geeks.

A watch is not jewelry, it’s a marvel of engineering and precision. If you appreciate a desmodromic valve train or seamless gearbox, but not a minute repeater or perpetual calendar, then you just don’t know what you’re looking at.

Supergirl likes this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sorry, Marx, I’m sure there will be a thread any day now about throwing off the shackles of the oppressive landlord, itchy and Ill made wool shirts and how all animals are equal (but some are more equal) any day now. :crackup:

Workers rise up and cast off your Seiko 007 and join the revolution!

Jedb likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, I get it. How often do you take that marvel apart to appreciate it's precision?

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I have no idea why I am weighing in here, but the term conspicuous consumption refers to the act (and level of) of consumption, not the thing being consumed.
    Carry on.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No, you don't, but I'll bite anyway.

I take my Seikos apart and tinker with them when they need regulating or repair. I also take my Desmo apart every 15k miles to adjust the valves and replace belts. In either case I wouldn't say I'm "appreciating" them during the time they're apart. I'm usually annoyed because it's a giant pain in the ass and I'm only doing it because it's necessary.

I never take my Rolex apart because, well, it's a fucking marvel of engineering. Get it? Find me another 100% mechanical device that will run perfectly for decades with zero maintenance, I'll wait.

I don't need to stare at bike parts to appreciate the precision. I appreciate my Ducati most when I'm riding the wheels off of it and can't stop thinking, "Something that makes this much torque isn't supposed to rev so high". Similarly, I appreciate my Rolex when it's keeping perfect time even though I'm running a rotary hammer and it looks like its in a paint shaker, or I'm sitting in a silent room and can hear the escapement pinging away at 28,800 BPH.

But hey, if you really like looking at stuff there are plenty of watches with display casebacks which allow the owner to view the hardware. (Also invisible to everyone else and only for the owner).

This isn't going well is it?

Supergirl likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Negative. It refers to consumption of goods specifically for the public display of affluence.

20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Just got an Ecozilla. Man, this is a beast of a watch. I love it. It wears great on the wrist, despite the specs of it being large and somewhat heavy. I’m going to get another one and put a bracelet on it.
    11175214-AAAE-4DC3-BDCE-E6C3061E4C61.jpeg