1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCRAMP: Monterey County Considering Direct Management Of WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'General' started by Blu Flag, Nov 15, 2019.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the mildly rich folks that own homes in the hills and want to be left alone seemingly want the track gone. the NIMBY mentality is strong anywhere close to the Bay Area.

the richer ones that own businesses in the area probably still want it and want to exploit it as previously stated.

stk0308, ducnut, code3ryder and 2 others like this.
  2. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

From the folks I've talked to and the vibe I get going there - the rich folks are the NIMBYs that don't like the track. They don't need tourist money and the haus fraus in Carmel would just as soon not have the unwashed masses come back. The noise restrictions at the track are specifically aimed at limiting activities there. At least that's my perception of it.

No matter what, the appointment of a political contributor/insider with an axe to grind over the death of his kid at the track seems to be a huge conflict of interest.

ducnut and jd41 like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The handful who own houses right there won't ever have enough pull. Especially since there are racers who own right there as well. There are just too many super wealthy car people in the area that will control things if need be.

jd41 likes this.
  4. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Yet if a sacraficial lamb is needed to partly appease the NIMBY crowd, what're the odds it will be the scooter trash?

5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I noticed the Feb. AHRMA event is no longer on the AHRMA calendar.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Just looked. It is.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Ok, one of you is wrong... :D

ducnut and R Acree like this.
  8. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Then could you see a scenario where it's sold to private owners who turn it into their own country club? I think a lot hinges on how Weather Tech takes the change and what they do with their sponsorship money. No SBK and no IMSA doesn't leave much on the calendar except Indy and these same wealthy gentlemen racers.

ducnut likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It is on their website as an upcoming event.

10. TX Joose

Where do you see it? It used to be before Roebling. [​IMG]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You mean aside from that being the 2019 schedule?

Johnny B and badmoon692008 like this.
  12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You are correct, Laguna is not on the 2019 schedule.

badmoon692008, t11ravis and R Acree like this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, it's a county park, that makes it an entire different world from a Bridgehampton or the like.

Just like when everyone thought Miller was going to be bulldozed, it's just not going to happen, there is money to be made as a track and they're going to make that money.

World Superbike is one that looks good but if the sanction fee was too high then it makes no money and isn't worth it to the track. They'll make more on a straight rental.

15. TX Joose

Well Laguna Seca isn't on the WSBK calendar for 2020.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought that's what we were talking about?

17. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

So does that mean MA will follow suit?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

MA doesn't have remotely the same deal as WSB requires.

For those who don't get what I'm saying - WSB and MotoGP require a promoter to pay them a sanction fee. That fee can be more than a million dollars - that is just to bring the show to town long before hiring people to run the event, paying track rental and insurance, and then actual promotion of the event along with whatever other side stuff they pay to bring in to make it all more fun. If the track is the promoter then they don't have to pay track rental but lose that potential income for the days of the event.

I do not know what MA's deals are with each track but based on what I see at some of them, they are renting the track same as we do. So for the track it isn't remotely the same deal as when IMS pays for MotoGP to come to town.

BTW - that sanction fee is what pays for the multiple cargo planes to bring everything over here as well as show money for teams and so on.

Quicktoy, rcarson15 and ducnut like this.
  19. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Says the guy who's trying to kill roadracing... ;)

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's Cali, I wouldn't count on common
    sense decisions being made. Same folks
    that tell you to buy a Chevy Volt and
    then they shut off the electricity.

jd41, ducnut and Steeltoe like this.