1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are failed used car salesmen now selling RVs?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwdfun, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Dealing with crooked people is never a good deal. Walk away there is plenty of other places that are not shady. Just wait until something goes wrong and they deny a warranty item because you did not buy their extension, etc. Life is to short to invite grief into it.

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  2. Brian_J

Brian_J Active Member

glad to hear this... i worked there in parts for a bit...

3. sheepofblue

Oh and NEVER give your email to Camping World ....you have been warned.

ducnut likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'd have walked away from the RV dealership the first time they tried to pressure me with the warranties.

There is no way I'd ever by anything from those assholes. I ran into a similar situation with Bay Area RV's just north of Baltimore when I asked them about some warranty work for my Puma Unleashed 5th wheel. They basically said if I didn't buy it from them, they didn't want to help me. They got a google review from me:

<quote>

I'm having a problem with my new camper I got two months ago and only used twice related to the slide-outs. So I search on Forrest Rivers site for authorized dealers and Bay RV is an option. I call and ask the Service guy Tom about getting this fixed at their establishment. The first thing he asks me is if I bought the camper from them, and I did not. After that he had absolutely no interest in helping me. He clearly stated that he was interested in taking care of "His" customers first. Well, if you impress me with your service, maybe I will become your customer for my next RV purchase. But, after today, that's not even a remote possibility. After doing some additional research on different sights regarding the overall lack of professionalism of the sales and service staff of this dealership, I'm so glad I didn't waste my time with my RV's repairs at Bay RV. It may have been sitting on their lot all winter unwinterized not getting fixed. Based on the other reading's I've done, their workmanship and repairs are sub-par at best. My business, and thus my money will never be theirs. I"m not really sure how that kind of public facing attitude provides any sort of log term success. You go to Bay RV....good luck.

I called another dealership in Woodbridge, VA that also came up on the Forrest River authorized dealer site, and they were friendly, professional, and eager to help. They have an overnight 24/7 drop off, and they encouraged me to bring my camper in for the warranty work asap so that they can get it done before they get busier in October with people wanting to get their RV's winterized. A completely different, customer loyalty fostering experience. If they are as good as they were today, they will definitely earn a loyal Customer that Bay RV did not.
    <unquote>

I have no idea how those kinds of RV dealers or any other business for that matter, stays afloat financially. I'd suggest you do a similar review of your experience with this STEALERship as well to get the good word out about their tactics to a wider audience. They need to be held accountable.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That’s hilarious. It’s alarming how common this stuff is.

I had a deal done years ago on a pusher. I signed the paperwork and arranged pickup and “walk through” the following week. Showed up with a cashiers check and suffered through an hour long ordeal with the “delivery coordinator” which was just a service contract sales pitch.

I finally got irritated and asked to just get out of there. Walked back inside and the sales guy tells me I just need my “warranty waiver and delivery paperwork”. He hands me a bill for $1500 for safety inspection, cleaning, oil change, alignment, tank treatments, etc.

I was baffled. The unit was spotless when I looked at it and hadn’t moved since the initial visit. Sales guy tells me that they did all of that work previously and I had to pay. I told him I was done, and asked them to shred everything and I’d get a ride home. Sales guy blows a gasket and and tells me I lowballed him already and now I want “my” service work for free. Also said I obviously can’t afford the motorhome and thanked me for wasting his time.

I asked for my check back and while I was waiting the sales manager came out and apologized and said they’d waive the charges. Too late, I walked out.

They were out of business six months later.

Senna and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Had an rv and a camper. Now if im by myself I sleep in my trailer. If the missus is present, we get a motel room.

Im alot happier now and so is my wallet.

tl1098 likes this.
  7. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That’s nuts... just bought a used unit from a fellow forum member... best deal ever!

t11ravis, omatter34 and sheepofblue like this.
  8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Heard this at a few motorcycle dealers also. Friend got burned by one like that when his new Goldwing broke down on a cross country ride. Closest dealer basically told him to pound sand. The tow truck company he called took him to a small independent shop which took care of him. Was gonna take 3 days so he just booked a flight to Cali and paid the guy to crate the bike up and have it shipped home. When he got home, he sold the Honda and bought a HD.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

See the other thread on here recently about another bike dealership closing shop - this is why.

10. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I heard that guy was an ass :D

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's fucked up, it would be one thing to be pissy about it if he'd bought from a dealer in the next town over but to be on a cross country ride and get treated like that is bullshit.

12. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Yea people say things... I talked to his brother, he said he was alright.

omatter34 likes this.
  13. omatter34

Hope the trip home was a good one.

14. sheepofblue

My brother has changed tires on his day off for out of town people. That dealer deserves to starve.

Banditracer likes this.
  15. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Thanks Shawn, it was. A quick pit stop in Jacksonville then a quick trip home. That rig towed very well and even through the mountains of TN I didn’t have to white knuckle it. Thanks for your help with the hook up and making this an easy buy. Everyone who saw it in person can’t believe how clean and well maintained it was! Can’t wait to enjoy it at the track and campgrounds!

wortdog, NemesisR6 and omatter34 like this.
  16. omatter34

Saw this and forgot to respond. We settled on 62% of msrp. After all the fees, taxes, etc we ended up about 71% of MSRP OTD. This also included an extended warranty. I've never purchased an extended warranty on anything I've owned before, but did buy into it on this one because of all of the additional moving parts on toy hauler vs. my previous one.