1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCRAMP: Monterey County Considering Direct Management Of WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'General' started by Blu Flag, Nov 15, 2019.

1. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

WOW! What a bunch of bullshit.

3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Institutionalized corruption. It's infuriating.

ducnut and jd41 like this.
  5. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Its done

Laguna Seca raceway to get new management group after unanimous vote

On Monday, at the Monterey County Board of Supervisors meeting, supervisors voted 5-0 to have a management group led by John Narigi take over for SCRAMP.
    Supervisor Lopez said that there has been opportunity for SCRAMP to improve and now it's time to make a change.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's CA, so yeah.

7. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

So, when the revenue numbers fail to hit the board’s arbitrary expectations, the board will vote to close it down and sale the property to Narigi.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So odds of 2020 MA race being the last one at Laguna Seca? Will they make it to the race with this new management....person?

10. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Sounds right. Nobody will bother to file a lawsuit against them for abuse of office. The millionaires will all scratch each others backs and Laguna will fall into the history books like Kyalami and someday Monaco. I'm glad I got to ride there and cross it off my bucket list.

11. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

I don't even think the 2020 Laguna Seca round has been confirmed

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sues them 10 years ago to avenge his son’s death and now he’s running the place?
    :eek:
    No conflict there...

tl1098, ducnut and ChemGuy like this.
  13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I think Laguna is state park, federal land.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

County park -- county land. Deed transferred from Dept of Defense in 1973. Its been a bit of a weird arrangement from the start, where the original racing out at Pebble Beach got axed due to folks driving into trees.

ducnut likes this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

USA has a rider on competitive equipment in WSBK. As a track, I’d def try to secure the one home round for the series because a local boy always brings out more fans imho.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Will his first act be to correct the support road design deficiencies?

tl1098, scottn, stk0308 and 1 other person like this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Kyalami still exists, they're having a 9 hour international sportscar race this weekend, according to their website. And I don't see Monaco going anywhere. It's a crown jewel of the F1 calendar. Big bucks! Even for that town. I would think the royal family would have to nix it. I have no idea if the whole family is still into it, but Prince Rainier sure was. His son seems to be on board for the foreseeable future.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The race track is a big part of the tourist income for the area. It's integral to the Concours at Pebble and all of the car stuff that happens around that event. And since the car guys have the big money and influence I don't see ANY racing stopping at Laguna in the near future.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    TurboBlew and jd41 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I'm not understanding all the "rich folks want to kill Laguna" stuff, the rich folks are the ones who want to keep the track. The rich folks also seem to want more direct control over it too.