1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd interview do's/don't's advice

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wear a tux and fart loudly.

A lot.

This shows respect for them ala the tux but that you DGAF from the farting. Youll either be promoted to CEO or not hired.

Good luck

badmoon692008, BigBird and pjzocc like this.
  2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

This was great! Thanks for taking the time. The video is a big help.

I haven't had a legit formal interview in like 20 years so this is really a new experience for me.

So... going in with notes and taking notes is advisable?

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yep, I'd write down or print out the questions you'd like to ask. And take notes on what they say to you when it's things like the traits they want in an ideal candidate or any things that stand out to you in the interview.

Also - it's super helpful to recite your responses out loud to potential interview questions. Smooths things out a bunch and really helps you to nail down your messaging.

4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'd go in with a few questions written down to ask. And maybe a few notes on things you want to cover. When they ask a question don't be too quick to answer. Give yourself a bit of time to formulate your answer even if you need to repeat some of the question a bit. This shows that you are being thoughtful about what you are going to say. They will almost always ask you if you have any questions. If they have covered the questions that you have written down and you can't think of any more to ask, Don't just say no, I don't have any questions. Say something like: "I did have some questions written down, but you've answered them already. If you don't have any specific technical questions about the job. Good questions to ask are something like what are the best things that you like about working here? What are some of the challenges? etc.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    pjzocc likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

This. Be interested and engaging in what the new opportunity is.

As far as money, let them start the conversation. In my experience, have a number you want already in your head. You can use different ways to get there (salary + additional vacation, benefits, options, etc) to create a total compensation package, but be confident about it. In the past, a line I always used was "My number is $xxx,xxx. With that being said, I wouldn't be comfortable accepting less knowing what I bring to the table, but I don't want you to pay me a penny more than you think I'm worth."

pjzocc likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

wow

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is why you want this position.

[​IMG]

8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

This has been a great help guys. Thank you.

going in for the interview now.

Chris and BigBird like this.
  9. Chris

Like look at the interview:

[​IMG]

(just kidding obviously)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    badmoon692008, Metalhead and pjzocc like this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

They ask less questions if they smell vomit on your breath.

11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

So... I think I did... ok. 5 of 6 questions I was prepared for (thanks to all of the advice here), but the last one was a rough go. Had to do with starting up a new initiative across the division regarding a program I have no experience with. I think I gave a C+ answer, but the rest was B+/A responses.

I did wear a MickeyMouse tie as I knew the regional director had just gone to Disney with his family. So I got THAT going for me...

Which is nice.

Senna likes this.
  12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Wait. What? Wrong answer, dude.

Pjzocc: Hope it all goes well.

Metalhead, noles19 and pjzocc like this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Jesus, man. Didn't you read the Disney thread here?! You probably gave the poor bastard PTSD. :D

BigBird and pjzocc like this.
  14. Chris

Oof

badmoon692008, mpusch and pjzocc like this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

17. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I think he should wear a MAGA hat too. It's a 50/50 shot...:D

BigBird, pjzocc and Phl218 like this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I lol'd

Chris likes this.