1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Our hare scrambles in the "C" class are 1 hour 30 minutes.2 hours for the "B-AA/Pros". I have only done the Hare scrambles/cross country races,and still don't understand what the "sprints and GP"s are,however the race group has specific weekends for them and if I go and get a new bike,I will be learning what they are soon enough myself.

2. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Have any of your owned any TM's. Particularly any new TM 2 stroke enduros. I'm drooling over the new TM EN300FI tpi 2 stroke. I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on one in early spring.

3. 90kacoupe

YZ250x if it has to be blue. Is there really a better option? hahaha

britx303 likes this.
  4. britx303

Yes,it has to be blue! And the yz250x is one of 3 on the list:D

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I tried to research them HARD before finally snagging my 2019 150 SX, seem like sweet machines... I just couldn't get past the low production numbers and thinking about parts down the road, or resale value compared to the other options. Plus harder to get aftermarket anything for, limited knowledge of setup/etc to pull from locally, etc. I'm sure out of the crate they are better appointed and in a higher state of tune than other options, but I'm not a good enough rider to translate that into faster laps, suspect I'd end up slower actually. Maybe once I've figured out the orange rocket then I'll be in a position to better utilize a TM?

6. 90kacoupe

Those are all good points. I really want a TPI 2 stroke. The TM appears to be the better bike between the KTM/Husky vs TM. and the price is close if not a little cheaper. TM really seems to have done their home work when it comes to 2 stroke development. I also love the tuneability of them like the servo driven power valve. The tinkerer in me loves the tech behind the bike. That is really the only reason I'm considering it.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

If your concern is the tunability of the bike, Athena makes a a GET system that, supposedly, really unlocks the potential of the bike. It even comes with an injector relocation bracket.

TM does indeed make a nice bike, but parts availability is going to be a question for quite some time.

8. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

the injector bracket costs more, but can give you up to 15-20% more low end (<3000rpm) snap and response than the GET ecu with the normal injector location

on a 150 not sure if the plate will be as important as it's generally spun up higher, but it seems to be alright on the 300's, and while some people say they like the improved response others are saying the updated maps from ktm are already incredible and the GET ecu is most beneficial on early 18's.

the 20's have a few more sensors on them that helps a lot with fueling

i want to be a financial idiot and get one so freaking bad lol

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

In my opinion, I think that the YZ250F, if on your list, is a non-starter due to the focused MX nature. I assume that you are looking at the:
    YZ250FX
    WR250F
    YZ250X

I wold lean toward the WR250F as it comes with a headlight and tail light, which are surprisingly useful in the woods. Riders following you will be able to watch your tail light, and oncoming riders (or riders leading you) can watch for your headlight. You will need to buy the YZ/racing ECU because tuning. But a pittance to pay for tuning the EFI.

If you want (NEED) the performance tuning of the YZ250FX (and I don't blame you one bit), it doesn't come with a headlight or spark arrestor, so you will likely spend money on either of the 4 stroke models. WR250F needs the upgraded ECU, or the YZ250FX needs a silencer with the spark arrestor.

But if you are looking at the YZ250X, it needs nothing but premix and will be awesome.

Good luck!

britx303 likes this.
  10. britx303

Narrowed it down to 2. I strongly considered the 250FX which was #3 on my list, but Settled on a 2T, so either the 250x or honestly leaning more towards the 125x simply for the fact my daughter can race it when she out rides her TTR .Dealer was closed last night, so gave me one more night of ringdingdinging in my dreams:D Yes.....I’m stoked!!!! This hare scrambling has been the most fun I’ve had on 2 wheels in a long time.

pscook and MELK-MAN like this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I forgot about the 125. It would be really cool if it came with a 144 kit, but I am sure that you can bump up the jug when you outgrow the 125 power. I'd be willing to bet that there is already an aftermarket 144 top end out there, which is the bump up class for the 125 so it can race in the 250F classes. Plus that little extra power is nice to have on the trails.

12. 90kacoupe

Idk how the yz125x is. I know the 125 Beta's and Shercos have been very popular! I would love to have one as an extra bike, but I can't give up my torque of a 250 or 300. I'm sure in standard XC or Harescramble terrain, I would love it. but when the going gets tough, the torque is nice!

I'm really trying to decide between a TE300i/TX300i vs a TM EN300FI (2 stroke). For a future super single road race project. The TX300i or TE300i are enticing due to the 6spd! The new Fi TM 2 strokes are 5spds.. *facepalm*

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Just sayin'
    https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/first-impression-2020-yamaha-yz125x/#YgybiwBEyRTASDzK.97

Pics and ride report due Monday. Formatting at your discretion.

britx303 likes this.
  14. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Somebody in here needs to buy my 2015 KX100 I have in the classifieds. Throw out an offer. The worst I could do is say yes! :crackup:
    In all seriousness though, it's a great bike with some extras. I found it fun and easy to use both trail riding and out ripping. Good low end torque for the trails and handles them with ease.
    Shameless plug over! :offtopic::rock::Pop::dead::timeforabeer::clap::beer:

15. britx303

Went to the dealer...........yeah im wanting the 125x, BAD! But didnt like or want the payments,so decided to hold off til I sell a few roadrace bikes since i might just switch over altogether from blacktop to dirt now. Way too many damn bikes around here and really need to clear out all but my 400. Problem is there was only 1 left and they said they do not know when the next ones will arrive. My usual.......day late and a whole lotta dollars short:p

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did you ask them if they wanted a bunch of race bikes in trade ? :D

britx303 likes this.
  17. britx303

Yer damn right I did!!:crackup:. The only one they were interested in was my stock fzr400..........which was NOT on the trade-in list, but their ears perked up anyways when I got to talking about racing and mentioned thats my main racer. They don't want hybrids like my 400/600's or the track only '99 R6. But yes......I did ask:D

Banditracer and pscook like this.
  18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I hear you loud and clear. I'm bike rich and cash poor as well. No road race bikes but lots of "projects" (piles of junk, to be honest, but hey, it is what I call it). A shipment of 125s might come around in the spring, so it's a good time to assess and address your collection. Good luck!

britx303 likes this.
  19. britx303

My issue is our next Hare Scramble is a little over a month away............spring is way too late:D

20. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail