1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LEOs how does this happen?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SirCrashAlot, Nov 18, 2019.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Not sure what you're referring to, all of the dismissed charges?

Seems like the classic "charge them with everything possible and see what sticks" routine. This seems fairly common if the arrested individual gives the cops a hard time and is uncooperative.

I don't have issue with multiple charges stemming from a single event, but if all charges brought to many court cases stuck, people would be behind bars for 50+ years.

3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

If you are looking for logic in Native American tribal courts you be in for a long search.

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

You see, I'm sitting here scratching my head over anything that's on tribal land. Things are done differently there, things I have even less understanding of than our own twisted laws. However, I'm just a bystander watching... That being said, I know it's a common legal tactic to throw 50 charges at someone and have them plea down to what they really wanted anyways. Kinda like the merchant marking their sales up through the year only to bring their "sales price" down regular prices.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The American Indian has taken about all the
    government help they can stand.

G2G likes this.
  6. SirCrashAlot

7. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I don't see the issue

gixxerreese likes this.
  8. Chris

Well, from that statement I would have to assume you've never had the pleasure of coming into contact with the police and/or court system while being on the receiving end.

sdg likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quick look at that one has a lot of the drug charges being dismissed based on doing Drug Court which is normal too.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  10. SirCrashAlot

11. code3ryder

Nope, I tend to follow the law. Was on the other end where I KNOW someone committed multiple crimes only to have to do time for the least important.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Or it is country folk law. Notice the one with gun violation and drug paraphenalia. Yep caught Silver Feathers kid out with a bong and he had a shotgun in the truck. Not a bad kid though.....

I once had the Cherokee's described as a bunch of rednecks that look like indians and the local police had enough to deal with without the nonsense stuff. Hearsay but was worth a laugh. Anytime I went riding over there I was always treated right by folks but then most back woods areas are that way. Just be nice and you get the same in return.

13. Chris

I try my best to follow the law as well, but I have made a mistake before and got to see the court show up close and personal.

14. code3ryder

def not trying to make this personal for you. I guess my point is, if you committed 5 crimes, why should you not serve the punishment for each of those crimes?

15. SirCrashAlot

Well that's an unrealistic view on it. Granted we are rednecks that like firewater and the simple life but drugs are a major problem here as anywhere else. The cops don't have murders or a lot of violent shit going on.... just a lot of overdoses and compulsory school attendance. The drug offenders getting slapped on the wrist for theft, distribution and manufacturing seems to be little deterrent to slow the problem.

16. Chris

Understood and wasn't taking it the wrong way, no worries. My point was often times the arresting officer will try and attach every charge that is applicable even though a single charge covers the actual crime. This happens more often when the subject is uncooperative or has a shit attitude. Many of those charges end up being lessened or dropped completely because they become redundant.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It is VERY rare for the courts to order someone serve their sentences consecutively. They reserve that for really bad people. Most sentences are run concurrently. Say if you run from the police, you'll get five years for fighting the cops, 2 for resisting arrest, 18 months for drug paraphernalia, 30 days for each road sign you ran over and destroyed, and two weeks for swearing on a Sunday. Nobody wants to do all that paperwork and the court system is HORRIBLY inefficient so they'll plead on the worst charges and toss out the rest. You'll be in jail for 3 years and it'll cover all the charges.

18. code3ryder

Totally get it. To be upfront, I was a Deputy Sheriff for 10 years with a couple of those on patrol (as well as a couple years as a reserve). The system is set up for plea deals and that's unforunate. I have never understood why becuase an crime was committed at the same time another crime, why the terms run concurrently. I'm a strong believer in mandatory minimums and all that so that is my slant for sure.

19. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

I’m an ex criminal managed to stay out of prison. I can only speak for my self, but when you have a level head your just into doing bad shit. Those added charges that get dropped can make you feel like you got lucky, and think you better straighten out. Imagine my face when I got arrested with a oz of coke. When the next day cops show up and hit me with attempted murder on every bullet I had in my vehicle, cause I had went shooting earlier and didn’t take my gun or boxes of ammo out of my car. When you see that many attempted murder charges it freaks you out I went back to my cell shaking. From that moment on I started cleaning my act up. Did 3 years IPS with not one single violation and been free and clear ever since almost 20 years.

Fencer likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You can't put everybody in jail for everything. I don't know the answer, and it's not the point of this thread, but our criminal justice system is out of control. The US incarceration rate is the highest in the world. Higher even than El Salvador, Turkmenistan, Cuba, and Rwanda - none of which are exactly known as "bastions of freedom". Hell, we're more than double IRAN.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/global/2018.html