1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I have an opportunity to do what a lot of other Californians seem to be doing right now: move to Las Vegas. Besides becoming less and less enchanted with California, Vegas seems like a great place to live.

I'm specifically looking at the Summerlin area (west Vegas). My wife and I want to go to this area for their schools and very family-friendly atmosphere for our son.

Here's a rough list of the biggest 'pros':
    • Cash-out California equity (I live in San Diego). We could get in a brand-new, considerably upgraded, larger home, and still reduce our mortgage considerably.
    • Low-maintenance desertscape. My backyard right now drives me nuts; fast-growing foliage everywhere! I'm tired of cutting grass, pulling weeds, trimming trees, paying for palms to get cleaned up, and more. I'd love a little- to zero-maintenance backyard that's still fully functional with a pool and outdoor kitchen.
    • No state tax on wages; that's an immediate pay bump.
    • Generally lower cost of living across the board compared to California.
    • The outdoor lifestyle in Vegas is similar to what I already have here, but I still think there's more there. I already mountain bike and roadbike and could do that out there (would be next to Red Rock Canyon). I'd love to get a UTV or a Jeep for the accessible off-roading. I golf a lot. The gun laws are way more relaxed versus California, and I like target shooting.
    The 'cons' are:
    • The heat. Duh. But honestly, I'm in inland North County San Diego, and we get some brutal heat where I am at already. Plus, the heat in Vegas seems to be for 2-3 months, but then it goes away. My average temps where I live in San Diego were higher last month than they were in Vegas.
    • All of my other cons are related to friends, family, job-type of stuff, so it doesn't make sense to compare it to California.
    I've read a lot on the 'net, and Vegas (especially the Summerlin area) are pretty highly reviewed as great places to live. We're also considering Henderson, but that's slightly less desirable due to where my job would be located. Henderson has been ranked the 2nd safest city to live in the United States.

Anyone make a similar move and/or live there and have some advice on living in Vegas? Am I missing some obvious cons? There's got to be something to it for there to me a mass exodus of residents and businesses leaving California and going to Vegas.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

First off...east of the 5 is either El Cajon or Escon-dildo not San Diego.

Second...before I offer advice what is the beeb rate for the guest room? Can I pay in left over hookers and blow?

That said....get the eff out of CA.
    You'll like it

Phl218 likes this.
  3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Let me know how it goes. I’m in LA. I want to do the same, wife doesn’t want to go there because she lived there as a teen for a while. Might convince her at some point. GTFO of California though, even if it’s not Las Vegas. This place gets worse every day.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Greenhound386 likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I’m not sure which part of California you guys are in, but South Orange county coastal is absolute paradise. We are going to try to leave next year, but it’s going to be very difficult.

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

All ya gotta do is find another state in which to register your vehicles and you’ll be all set. State tag rates are absurd, which is why you see so many out-of-state plates in ‘Vegas.

Spring Mountain out in Pahrump is an awesome track and that’s probably an hour west of where you’re looking.

And best of all, it’s not California.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

But, all I see on YT is “Come to California!” commercials.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's not the only upside Henderson has going for it :D :D :D

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Vegas is no different than ca politically. So if that's what you want, go for it. I have family that lives in the northwest corner of Vegas, close to one of the most radioactive places on the planet. They don't like it much and plan to leave as soon as they can.
    But do it.

9. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Pops lives in Henderson. I think it might be hot more/longer than you are expecting. Also gets quite cold during the winter.

Other than that, they're pretty happy there.

Gixxerguy855 and Greenhound386 like this.
  10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is in my State but no way I would live there :)

11. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

Stay away from HOA neighborhoods.

Banditracer likes this.
  12. Greenhound386

Haha! I am in Escondido, but I didn't think anyone on here would recognize that.

Are the leftover hookers ones that you're done with or ones that you didn't end up using?

13. Greenhound386

They can't be higher than what I am paying here. ~$850 on my '17 2500HD this year, plus $40 for a visual smog inspection.

SMMR rocks! Love that track.

14. TWF2

Attached Files:

15. TWF2

And for smog, think it is same as here in Reno, if diesel it will go on Dyno.
    Some counties don't have smog.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a friend that moved from coastal FL to Enterprise... just south of Vegas. His sister moved along with him... He loves it. She hated it. Only issue he has is being "land locked"...lol. He did well enough selling his place here and has a small mortgage on a new place out there... didnt say the cost of living was any higher.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes.

If your used to N county, heat and location and like it...Vegas is basically the same. More stuff to do...farther from the ocean and a tad hotter.

Best thing is it's not in CA.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Go to Rick Harrison's pawn shop.

19. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I retired and moved here 2017 from Socal, also have lived in No.Cal. Don't kid your self it gets very hot here in the summer July and August, other than that not bad, winter is like northern California with out the rain. Summerlin is nice as is Henderson, but being closer to the airport and strip.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have a good friend in Summerlin and I visit often. It's a great area if you're an outdoors type, specifically if you climb. Red Rocks is like having an outdoor climbing gym in your back yard. Mt Charleston has some incredible MTB trails and decent skiing/snowboarding. I never knew how cool Vegas was until he moved there. Now I can't see why anyone would go to vegas and not leave the strip.