1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Has anyone had time on both a YZ250FX and WR250F? These two seem to be marketed at nearly the same consumer, same price point. Are the differences summed up in trans ratios and a headlight? Peak power about equal but tuned differently? YZFX seems to be getting nothing but praise so will the WR likely be dropped in the next year or two?

My WR is a 2005 and I love it but I'm thinking of going for FI next season. I had been pretty sure the new WR was the obvious choice but curious about the FZ now as well.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

WR is detuned for longer maint intervals, and heavier as it's built for longer street life and not racing. The YZ250FX is a race bike first.

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

wrong on all accounts. The 2015 to present are the same bikes except WR has a cooling fan which can get added to FX, small cool gauge cluster, rear marker light, very light 35 watt headlight, spark arrestor muffler. Everything else is the same as FX. WR requires the competition ecu $110 to be added to change FI with tuner. It also has the stopped up air box easily solved with ecu kit. Rear sprocket on FX has one extra tooth.

both are very good bikes.

4. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

For the novices out there can someone explain the key differences between Hare-scramble, Enduro, and sprint-enduro? Is one better than the other for a first timer or am I going to die regardless? I got a KDX200 which i assume is about the equivalent to a clapped-out SV and a decent starter bike.

5. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

You are thinking of the WR250R strreebike. That is a WHOLE different animal.

pscook and roy826ex like this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I believe the KDX is one of those great to get out there bikes.........from peoples opinions here and elsewhere. Never rode one myself fair warning

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

From my experience:
    Enduro can be timekeeper or not. Timekeeper is when you have to navigate a course with specific times between checkpoints. Too early or too late gets you points, fewer points is best. Too early is more points than too late. You start on a specific minute and get measured against timing between checkpoints. A "regular" enduro is an offroad race equivalent to a road race. Set distance, first one home wins. It could be one long lap or multiple laps over a given time frame.
    Harescramble is usually a set number of laps over time. Most laps inside the time window wins. This is when you see "Long Course" and "Short Course" races, with faster/more experienced classes running the long course.
    Sprint enduro is typically you can run the course a fixed number of times, and your top lap times determines your finishing order. It's like a regular enduro or scramble in that it's a fixed course, but you can run all three laps at once, or take a break in between to adjust your bike or rest. It's your choice to run whenever you want, but your top three (or however many) laps count to the win.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

buying way too much motor for the woods, is a mistake MANY riders make. Open desert and fire roads? Get a 450 or a 300 2st. Knock yerself out. But for east coast harescrambles and most any enduro (other than west coast), a 200 2st, even a 125cc 2st, or a 250 4st is PLENTY of bike, and most will go faster on it. I have placed top 10% in national enduro, and i went from 450 to a 350, to a 250cc 4st. Love the smaller motor to ride an hour or more through the woods.

pscook likes this.
  9. MELK-MAN

time keeping enduro's are a thing of the past for the most part now. All done. It was killing enduro as most but the old timers didn't know how to do it. Basically a new rider to enduro (myself included) would be like.. "what do you mean i went TOO fast" .. LOL :)

Indeed. Enduro now is now go as fast as you can from check to check. Arrive a bit early? you get a break. Most anyone but a pure beginner will get a break at each section unless conditions deteriorate totally (major mud). As you said, sprint enduro is leave when you want.. and is the new thing. Very popular for good reason. shorter sections, but more of em. 1 rider at a time leaves every 15 seconds (vs 4 or 5 leaving at same time every minute). And yes, lowest scores (least time) wins.

10. britx303

Your talking me into the Yz125x :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That's me in a nutshell. First with an XR250 "I need more engine." YZ426 for Supermoto and occasional woods work just wore me out. "I know, a 300 2T would be PERFECT!" 2001 GasGas XC300 (ZERO flywheel, always stalled, what a workout). "I know, I need a modern 300 2T!" 2011 GasGas 300 2T. Perfect chassis, tractable motor, but it would drag me through the woods. Now on a Husky WR125 with the 165 kit and a lectron. Great chassis, good motor. Goldilocks. (Disclaimer: I have a 2005 WR450 for the open stuff because the 165 has a 40MPH top speed.) But as I said above, if I can get a plated YZ250FX or WR250F, then I'm going to have to let go of the blue haze in the woods. 250 4T seem to be the right balance for the non-pro rider.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Sounds like sprint enduro is a good way for a novice to start out . What's the duration of a typical hare scramble?

13. MELK-MAN

depending on the class and what sanctioning organization, 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs. Here in Florida, FTR will have races on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday will include pee-wee and Jr. classes, as well as "pre modern" and "evo" (old bikes), beginners, and "sportsman" (class added for those that want to ride saturday on the shorter course, before the quads tear it up a bit), and quads at the end of the day.
    Sunday course usually has some mileage added to saturday course, that was more difficult .. and is a 2 hour race, vs. 1.5 hrs for Saturday.

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Around here a short course can be anywhere from 45-90 minutes depending on the technical nature of the course (less technical = longer, harder = shorter). Long courses are typically 90 minutes - 2 hours, again depending on how challenging it is.

Sprints are definitely a good introduction to off road racing. It's nice to make your own decision to head back out when it feels right, plus you get a chance to straighten out the barkbuster, tighten the shift lever bolt, get a drink, etc. As you get more experience and exposure you can watch the local groups and try other races/poker runs.

15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

ISDE style timekeepers are still alive, at least out here. Idaho City 100 is a huge ISDE type event.

16. MELK-MAN

not familiar with how six days does it, but you mean have to arrive at a check on a specified time.. too early you are penalized ? I just never understood this, and was why i never did an enduro till a few years ago. lol :)

17. Knotcher

It's a timekeeper with a set schedule for stages with specials inside of the stage. The big difference I think between these and the old-school timekeepers is that there aren't all of the secret checks to catch you out in the middle of the stage, so you can hang back from the check before you finish the stage.

Up here, the NMA still does have a few classic timekeepers for the masochists.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. Knotcher

Any snowbikers in here? Our crew is eyeballing these for purchase soon.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I know one of the Canadian guys has a couple, just can't remember who.

20. britx303

Heading to the Yamaha dealer tonight or tomorrow night. My TTR225 needs so many things repaired that im finding as i keep digging, that it'll be better just to get a new bike for the hangover hare scramble in a month and a half. Still haven't picked out which 1 out of 3 choices,but getting close.Decisions,decisions................:p