1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qualifying Idea...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Nov 10, 2019.

1. In the classes he mentioned, everyone should be on similar bikes, and be running a similar pace. By "similar", I mean within a few seconds or so.

This isn't MotoGP where 0.5 can separate 1st from 15th. Whether they get a perfect flying lap or not, the faster dudes will still be up front.

You have to remember we are talking about using the best lap time from an entire practice session, not a 1-off chance at a flying lap. If one lap gets messed up, then try again. If someone is pushing the entire time, making good use of the practice, one of those laps in there will be a flyer (or damn near it).

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me!

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

It was also suggested for F2 and LWSB.

Given Jon’s a fast LW guy, his comments are relevant to that part of the discussion.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We don't have T1 issues other than major stupid moments or mechanicals with the way we do grids now.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A large part of why I haven't done it. Yet people keep insisting it can be done so now I'm going to give it a shot which should keep them quiet for 3-5 years...

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah yeah yeah :p

Hey - how is Joe doing?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We don't often see you quite this optimistic.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Better. Doing PT on both shoulders, moving around pretty good. Had surgery on his right shoulder for the broken shoulder blade and will probably need surgery on the left shoulder for non-broken-bone type stuff (probably around the holidays). All in all, he's ticked about it still, but in good spirits. :)

renegade17 likes this.
  10. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Marcel Irnie can quit bitching now

11. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I like this idea. Also makes people run a transponder in practice

tawzx12r likes this.
  12. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Speaking of grids...

What about spacing the rows out a bit? Maybe just 5 - 10 feet more.

I get that puts you farther back... but if you get that awesome holeshot it lowers the chance of ass packing someone.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That will never happen

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds about right. Glad he's healing, that was a rough one.

ekraft84 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why we stagger the grids, y'all need to quit lining up right behind the people in the row ahead :Poke:

drop likes this.
  16. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Staggered is good. And it's not one row ahead... It's two rows ahead I'm trying to miss.

Five, maybe 10 more feet of spacing between each row... ;)

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It does vary by the leg length of whoever is setting it up and I do get them to move things if it's too tight - as much as it's fun messing with you I do agree.

tawzx12r likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I've run qualifying in MA and also with FMRRA. With MA they obviously have fewer classes, more dedicated staff, lots of time built into the schedule, so they police it and it works great. The race is less dangerous because there aren't huge speed disparities.

FMRRA has far fewer riders, and they do some post race / qualifying fuel checks occasionally, but for the most part it's just a longer practice session that is timed. If they had 30 riders show up for a class it would be different, there would be a lot more complaining with who was on what bike for qualifying, etc.. It also works because they have fewer classes.

I personally like it because it's like another race. Also, any session that is longer than 5 laps is great as far as I'm concerned. Hard to get anything done in 5 laps (15 min session).