1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP Understanding GNF

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Jordan Diggs, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jordan Diggs

Jordan Diggs Lifelong Back Marker

Hi all, I am in my first season of CVMA as an amateur, and want to get into some WERA rounds next year as well. I’ve lurked here for A WHILE, yet still struggle with GNF.

I would obviously be riding in WERA west, and C superstock & superbike.

Now my confusion, what is the difference in the Nd tonal series and why does not com west?

Also seeing as how you just need to race a sportsman class to be eligible, how do you win the GNF? Is it just winner take all once you’re in that race regardless of regional points?

Also looks like the AMA championship is kinda the same. One race for all the marvels, is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'm sure the gnf doesn't come west because of the low customer base.

You win the gnf by crossing the line first. Just because a rider wins, does not mean he wins the championship. That is a points based series.

The AMA stuff is a winner take all type series of races.

3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sportsman
    Nationals

TurboBlew, Phl218 and mpusch like this.
  4. Jordan Diggs

Ok so if I was say like 8th in WERA west, but won the GNF sportsman race in my class whats that do for me? Help my west points? Just trying to understand.

Sucks about the nationals would like to do that one day but shit that’s a lot of driving from SoCal and back

5. Jordan Diggs

Also another question what’s the difference between Formula 1 and A Superbike?

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

you'd get points towards your champoinship standings and probably end up 6th overall.

read the rulebook?

you can run an A-SB (1000 cc I-4 or 1?00 cc twin) bike in F1 but not always an F1 (example Kawa H2R) in A-SB

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. Jordan Diggs

Thank you for your answers. I was confused how it tied into the entirety of a season.

I did read the rule book and still was confused between A-SB and F1 as they both say open displacement.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

whats confusing?

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you could always ship the bike... then fly into Birmingham.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably going to answer stuff that has been answered so sorry in advance for repeating things.

First off, the GNF has nothing to do with Sportsman Series regional points.

For the Sportsman Series races at the GNF look at it like the Olympics, you race locally during the regular season to be able to run the event as well as get a good grid spot. Then at the GNF the riders from all the WERA regions compete for the National Championship so it is winner take all for the Sportsman National Championship. The regional championships are based on regional points.

The National Challenge Series should run out West but yeah, it's about travel expenses and with a lot more eastern riders wanting to do it it's tough to schedule rounds out west. The GNF is just the final round for the National Challenge Series which is a normal points championship. You can come to the GNF and run those races just to get more track time and be a part of some great racing.

Also at the GNF we host the AMA Road Race Grand Championships, it is a one off event for amateur racers from all of the clubs around the country who want to compete. You do not need to have a WERA license (but do need an AMA membership), the Nicky Hayden Horizon Award is also given out at the GNF as part of the RRGC although it's not just finishes in the AMA races that are looked at but the totality of what a rider is doing at the event and with their racing career.

Then there is the final round of the WERA/N2 Endurance Series which is points based as well.

It's a very busy event hosting 4 different series all of which have different requirements and award championships differently. To understand the schedule better the Sportsman classes are letters (A/B/C/D/E/F) and if the name is exactly the same as other series they race will be labeled Sportsman, the Nationals are numbers or labeled National, and then all of the AMA classes are labeled AMA. The Endurance would be the long race :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A Superbike is open displacement based on production machinery with pretty unlimited modifications. Formula 1 is open displacement with no other rules. If you get a MotoGP bike bring it on out, want to create your own frame and stuff a big ass engine in it then go for it just make it safe. The basic way I describe the F1 rules is 2 wheels, one motor, fuel must burn with a visible flame.

12. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

This should be stickied - it comes up every year.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Between here and Facebook I've typed that out a good 5 times this year :D

I really need to just keep it in a file so I can cut and paste.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

So no electric bikes in F1?

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

As clearly shown in MotoE earlier this year, those bikes can and do burn with a visible flame.

beechkingd, AC1108 and Phl218 like this.
  16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Maybe the Zuma title is in that file too...

Before you ban me for non related content, I emailed you a licensing question. :D

17. Jordan Diggs

Thanks for this answer. I did google a bit and search before asking this, but I will say this forum has been around so long it’s hard to find the exact answer AND one that’s recent as things may have changed. The olympics reference really helped tbh.

Still a bummer about the National part, but I do plan on racing at-least WERA west next year.

18. Jordan Diggs

For this the production machinery part is where I was confused. Even the reference someone gave early was an H2R. While very unique is still production so I didn’t get it exactly but the GP part made sense.

Thanks for all the info

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If one is fast enough then yes, I'd slot one into F1.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The H2R being in Superbike would depend on production numbers each year. Not sure they made 1000 of them in any year so it would be limited to Formula 1.

If you check out the rulebook it first breaks things down into Superstock/Superbike which are both production based and must retain original frame/engine combinations as well as have 1000 of them worldwide. For Superstock they also need to have full DOT approval, for Superbike they do not so gray market bikes are allowed. Then there are the Formula classes which are wide open other than displacements categories. From there it goes to specific classes some of which will have other bikes performance indexed in that wouldn't normally fit the class structure.

track wagon, Jordan Diggs and Phl218 like this.