1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Meh... it’s looking like base miles is what I’m reading in every single plan. Just boring as hell on the trainer lol.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

o_OWhat’s FTP?

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Functional Threshold Power. Aka the de facto dick measuring contest in cycling.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Nice bike, indeed! I plan on upgrading in 2021, which should be about the same time Shimano releases a 12 speed Ultegra Di2 groupset (assuming they release it in the Dura Ace line this Spring).

for training plans, I have limited experience but I use the Zwift workouts and training plans built into the app. I’m currently doing the 12-week “FTP builder” under Zwift Training to get stronger and gain more endurance. My ftp is currently 288 and hope to get above 300W by spring. While I’m good with 80+ mile rides, My power curve really falls around 50 miles in when I’m pushing hard from the go. I hope to get that up to 70+ with my off-season training.

like anything else, the training plans in Zwift are pretty solid, but you have to keep pushing yourself. Your bike isn’t going to peddle itself! ;)

check out the website whatsonzwift.com. You can search for plan characteristics and it will tell you which plans have what you’re looking for. It’s a great resource.

cajun636 likes this.
  5. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

7. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with the new tacx neo trainer? I'm looking to get on a smart trainer.

8. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I must be grandfathered in because I'm only paying $14.99. I haven't tried any other apps for it, but I get my moneys worth.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

14.99$ is roughly 20$ canadian right now. I should have specified.

awalk9905 likes this.
  12. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

How much you bench, bro? :cool:

Senna likes this.
  13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Just pick a gran fondo plan for lots of climbing simulation. The low cadence, high effort followed by fast cadence which encourages more muscle recruitment really seemed to help in my prep for the death ride. When I actually got to ride with my buddies they'd kick my ass for the first 50, then I seemed to do better. Part of that was probably because I got a rear cassette with a 34 for spinning up the hills. :) I was usually faster with it and on the really steep sections I could still spin more than grind. Can't do that 53/42 13-25 6 speed like I used in the mountains when I was in my 20's. Still love my straight block on the flats for finding that perfect gear.

cajun636 likes this.
  14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

while I do have a subscription to Zwift, I actually tried Rouvy (this week) and found it to be a better overall experience regarding a more realistic ride real. There aren’t as many riders on
    It to chase after but it has a lot of routes and just like most other apps you can import workouts into it.

So what I decided to go with is a Sufferfest plan
    That the focus is Sustained effort. It’s funny because to further complicate things I also have a subscription to Training peaks which I love because I’m a stats nerd.

So the plan autopopulated to the Training Peaks calendar which is cool. I can use the SF plan to do the actual workout and during the week I do. But
    The plan is also for indoor/outdoor weekend rides so I do those workouts on Rouvy.

And Cannoli what I really want to do is upgrade this bike Gan to the SRAM Red WiFi Etap. Then eventually find a F10 frame to swap All the components to later on.

My only problem here is that there are no climbs around here and other than the two Centuries next year I won’t get much climbing. My problem has always been that to keep pace with the lead group of any fast ride I can’t sustain a high high effort (300+ watts) for an extremely long time. So I get dropped. So that’s what I was trying to focus on. But I mainly just want to build slowly and keep my fitness up this year unlike years past.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That Rouvy app looks much better than Zwift, imo. Zwift didn’t do much for me. Felt like something out of Black Mirror and I hated all the power-ups and gimmicky shit.

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I just signed up for the free trial of Sufferfest. Pretty cool so far and the first workout I did (A Dark Place) kicked my butt! Planning on going the 4DP fitness test real soon. From the description, it’s gonna be (an) epic (fail)! :D

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I have to do mine. I’ll post up my results. Tomorrow my plan says to do The Revolver on SF. It’s gonna suck.

let me know when you’re planning your 4DP and I’ll do mine too. My only problem is my trainer is a wheel on and the wheel spins above 1000 watts :-/

18. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

I used the H3 and run Trainerroad. I did Zwift for a little bit to get started and then began doing workouts and a training plan but felt they were lacking. It's a game and great for the entertainment aspect. Trainerroad feels much more intentional and the plans have purpose and WILL increase your riding efficiency. Yea, it's just lines and a graph but the intervals make more sense and apply directly to real world efforts. There are a lot of text cues to keep your mind on your breathing, smoothness, etc. Notes that explain the upcoming workout and what the purpose is. Bonus, there's a TrainerRoad podcast with weekly episodes from the coaches and creators themselves with lots of info and insight. My girlfriend and I are both very happy with TR and the H3. Both are great tools to get where you want to be.

Senna likes this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The only thing I dislike about TrainerRoad is the damn text cues! Had to turn them off. I just sit and watch the power graph.

20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Yep! I just signed myself and my wife up for zwift, shit ain’t cheap.

I was using Bkool before and it was ok. Not nearly as many people on it but you had a start and finish line so you could pace yourself better I find. You knew when the grade was going to change and how long your current grade was. Nothing like blowing up 2/3 of the way up a hill thinking it’s almost over.

I may switch to a proper training program later on in the winter, just riding around for now. I was using “today’s plan” in the summer as it worked with my wahoo and I only ride outdoors once it warms up. I’ve been off since Father’s Day weekend until 2 weeks ago with a mysterious injury so I’m just taking it easy for awhile. I didn’t even get 700km on my new S3 I built.