1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy crap LSU is bringing it.

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

A review of the blathering heads on the TV sports shows was interesting. The consensus was disbelief that Alabama was not #4. When someone mentioned Baylor being undefeated, it brought laughter and the response "Baylor? Yeah, that'd be a ratings bonanza".

That's the thought of the selection committee in a nutshell. They know these games are all about the TV money and, love them or hate them, Alabama is a TV cash cow.

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Duuude. Clemson and Bama have shit schedules, we agree. You cannot possibly put LSU in that category though.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Truth. LSU played a legit schedule. All three teams would run roughshod over the Big10 though.

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The 15th ranked team in the country sucks? They beat two top 20 teams and narrowly lost to PSU on the road. So the big 10 gets hammered when out of conference, like when MI hammered ND? Granted, the Big 10 non-conference schedule generally is pretty weak. I would not put money on Ohio State blowing MI on the road. They will most likely win, but it might be closer than people think. Also if Minnesota tromps Iowa and WI, they are for real, but that remains to be seen. It is very hard to get through a Big10 regular season undefeated, just ask Penn St.
    Agreed on the LSU schedule. There shouldn't be any guesswork needed for your last supposition. That is what the playoffs will likely show us, or possibly not if the SEC or Big10 champ gets pounded by Clemson before they meet.

5. Spang308

That #4 spot could change every week from here out. Bama's big problem is they have zero signature wins and they blew their one shot of having one Saturday. GA's problem is their one loss is horrific. I mean, it was close, but they lost to the Gamecocks at home. That's a bad loss at the hands of a team that won't even be going to a bowl game. You can bet Nick is an Auburn fan for just this Saturday. If GA wins out and beats LSU, I see no way for anyone to make a case for Bama's inclusion to the playoffs.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Spang308

Well, we could ask Ohio State too. Lets not forget their 30 point ass whoopings at the hands of Iowa and Purdue the last two years.
    For those defending PSU, it took a really shitty coaching decision by Pat Narduzzi for them to squeak past a mid pack Pitt team...from that soft ass ACC that everyone loves to bash.
    As for PSU's struggles to go undefeated, they lie squarely at James Franklin's feet. He had OSU beat 2 years in a row and let them crawl back into the game. He gets ridiculously conservative in his play calling with a small lead. Oddly, he hasn't learned from it. Same script against Michigan the other week. I have lots of PSU fans. I feel for them. :D

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

I would love to see LSU, Alabama or Clemson venture to Minnesota (or Michigan) this weekend. Your thin blooded boys would be crying for their moms. Hard to play fast when you are bundled up in parkas. And to use Oklahoma as an argument that the ACC and SEC play tough schedules is odd since Oklahoma is in the B12. You think Alabama, LSU or Clemson are traveling the Ohio to play? Nope. Also remember the year before OSU punked Oklahoma @ Oklahoma too.

As for Michigan vs Florida, I also remember a few years prior dropping the hammer on them IN FLORIDA. What I recall about that game was that it was an unusually cold spell for Florida. I think the temps were in the 40s for game time. Florida guys came out for warmups with gloves and coats on.

For all the arguments that the B1G doesn't do well in bowl games, no one wants to talk about the fact that most bowl games are essentially home games for SEC and ACC teams. Not many bowl games happen in the B1G region

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Dude! Do you know where Clemson is?? We are located well in the foothills of the mountains. It get's freaking cold in Tiger Town. No, it doesn't drop below 0 for weeks at a time and no we don't measure snow in feet every year, but it is freaking cold.

Our guys can handle and have handled business in the cold weather. We aren't SoCal sitting on the beach with an average temp. of 70.

Spang308 likes this.
  9. Spang308

That narrative was silly even last year when they presumed Trevor Lawrence was going to struggle in the cold at Boston College. Dude threw for 300 yards for an easy win.

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

I know it can get cooler in the south but you don't usually see those until deeper into the winter after football season and definitely not prolonged bouts of cold. I see mid-60s in your 10 day. We might touch 40 for highs.

It's a miracle the B1G gets any talent.

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

What do you think the committee would do if OSU loses a game from now through their championship game? Let's assume it would be LSU, Clemson, UGA, and Bama heading into the SEC championship game and UGA beats LSU in a tight game. What would the committee do with LSU at that point?

12. rwdfun

rwdfun

Dude. Come on. You're talking BC?

From your mouth the gods ears I hope it's Michigan.

3 SEC teams and a shaky (this year) Clemson? Not even that biased committee would risk the ire of the rest of the country. If GA beats LSU. Bama is out over any other conference champ.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yep, the whole point is to find the best team in the country. No way the 3rd best team in a conference is even in that discussion.

Edit: OK, the real point is to make as much money as possible, but still no way that works because the rest of the country tunes out.

14. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I don't think that scenario will play out, but with Alabama slotted at #5 and assuming they don't lose, if OSU loses, and UGA beat LSU, then the committee is going to be in a pickle. One they won't be able to back out of.

15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Shakey Clemson?

100 buck to the AFF

Clemson vs. The Field in the CFP this year?

16. rwdfun

rwdfun

If th
    Gotta see the field first. If it's 3 SEC teams I'll pass

17. Spang308

Why? The ONLY team that has a prayers chance in hell of beating them is OSU.

18. Spang308

If OSU loses a game to Michigan, they'll still play for the Big10 title. They can afford a loss and get in as long as it's not to PSU who would then take their spot in the title game. Of course, they can't shit the bed against Rutgers either, but we all know that's not going to happen. If OSU loses to Michigan and then goes to the Big10 title game and wins it, they're in. If that happens, Clemson wins out and GA beats LSU as a one loss team in the SEC title game, Bama is on the outside looking in. So is the Pac12 champ likely, because GA would have a win over Auburn, who beat Oregon. I can't see a scenario that Utah gets in and I don't think Baylor will stay unbeaten, so it's basically a 3 division race with the exception being a 1 loss Oregon and they'll need help.

19. Spang308

It would be a hard arguement to make that Bama belongs in over the team that beat them head to head (LSU) or the team that beat LSU (GA), if it indeed shakes out like that. Especially if their only good win is against Auburn that both of those teams beat as well.

20. rwdfun

rwdfun

If you really mean OSU then that's why no but if you meant LSU then I like the field better with LSU and OSU in it.

See post #113. The committee has totally setup the current rankings to use the Oregon @ Auburn loss to keep everyone other than OSU and Clemson out. Maaaybe Minnesota in place of OSU but only if they beat an undefeated OSU in the B1G champ game