1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Dealership sales??

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Nov 13, 2019.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I demoed a used Taco this year while out truck shopping (2014, I think) I don't get it...couldn't wait to get out of the friggin' thing...

418 likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The Taco and 4R are bulletproof old tech with very underdressed engines. The last damn near forever.

That being said going from a DCT A4 to a 5 speed by was painful for a couple of months. Now it's ok but if I had the extra cash I'd throw the Magnusson SC on it.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Theres a generation split at 2015-2016

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

I wanted a taco and started looking and ended up with a crewmax Tundra TSS v8 SR5 for 24 month lease at $212 total payment (includes tax and plates) with 2k down. Could not think twice about that one

ducnut likes this.
  6. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

With 15k miles per year too

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

on time, and on point thread. we are looking at upgrading a daily driver, dont want to go back to the small suv/cuv. already have a big hauler truck. have been looking at the colorados mostly (have gm discount available). have heard a little about the nissan frontier (outdated, due for an update but, reasonably priced as such). was "wanting to research tacomas BUT, every one you look at used is near new price. so, they seem to hold value.

looking at the "baby trucks" to have a bed to haul gas cans, and larger items, 500 miles 1 way, 2 times a month, and be semi comfortable doing it.

aesthetically, i need to like how it looks, and performs. the tiny bed and the big crew cab on the colorado looks terrible to me. the long bed looks worse. i dont mind the looks of the double cab (suicide rear doors) but, the funky back jump/ bucket seats and the weird floor box in the back doesnt work for our situation.

pricing some of them out, you can buy a 1500 for less, or the same price. hate to buy another full size, due to less fuel economy, and we already have a 2500 crew.

keep talking the taco up, i (we) are listening. thank you guys! Ski

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Don’t touch ANY GM vehicle with an 8-spd transmission. That would mean buying the BabyMax, which has its share of problems with the emission system, but, backed by a decently reliable 6-spd.

You may look at something like the Ram 1500 with EcoDiesel, for fuel economy. Even the Pentastar does pretty well, as I rented one through Enterprise. Probably a ways out, but, the Jeep JT should be coming down the line with the EcoDiesel. The F-150 thread indicates people are doing well with the EcoBoost trucks. There’s a small Powerstroke diesel available, as well. For someone doing a lot of highway miles, a diesel makes sense and would be the way I’d go. My buddy is averaging high-30’s in a Colorado 4X4, with a deleted BabyMax that’s been tuned and an exhaust of his design (engineer).

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I had a 2011 for 4 years- boring, shitty interior, underpowered, poor mpgs and tows as much as a Camry. Just my $0.02

10. baconologist

Mine tows just fine

1E1B4230-D602-4F2C-9C4C-0551AC8A8DA7.jpeg

11. skidooboy

from my research (quick, short)... the 16+ are the ones to have. more, and better updates. Ski

12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Mine was the 4 liter V6 (obviously the previous body than the above posted)- 4,600 lbs towing rated IIRC.
    Serous love/ hate relationship with it- I only put gas and changed oil and had zero reliability issues but barely made it to 4 years before I got rid of it and should have been much sooner.

14. Yep. It’s a bargain, which is why we got the wife a Q7 last year :)

15. baconologist

Yup
    3rd gen has a 6500# tow rating

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just like the 2008.
    But with less power.

17. skidooboy

not interested in dodge's or fords at all.

what is the deal with the GM 8 speeds, other than calibration? i have heard that was easily remedied by the trifecta tuning program, is this not the case? you have piqued my interest. Ski

18. baconologist

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

The ratings between the 1GR and 2GR are so close you’ll never feel the difference in real world driving.
    The ass-dyno feeling is the way the power is delivered. The 4.0 is old school low rpm power, the 3.5 needs to be driven like a V-tec Civic Yo! Then Toyota hamstrung it with that crap-tastic shifting of the slushbox they put behind it. I’ll keep my manual 3.5 with it’s split personality. Low rpm for mpgs, kick it in the ass to go.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

They’re on their 4th or 5th iteration of trans fluid they’re claiming will fix the trans shudder that’s been going on for years (only the 8-spd and affects millions of GM vehicles). I have an auto tech friend who bought Colorado this past summer and it’s shuddering with barely 2K miles on it. I had to jab him with “Did you think because you’re a GM tech and fanboy it somehow wouldn’t happen to you?”. :D

20. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

Piling on to already stated experiences, and as an admitted Toyota fanboy, bulletproof. I am a mechanic, I don't like working on my truck.

I have genuinely abused every Toyota I have owned, from overloaded towing across the country, to ignoring service intervals. I have knowingly taken 2,000 mile journeys with a blown headgasket. All things that I wouldn't consider any other truck capable of enduring essentially unscathed.

That makes it a non-decision for me, but I put reliability at the top of my list, and latest features and such pretty far down the list. Second on the list is resale value, and I haven't seen a truck hold it's value better. I don't even consider a new truck until I'm well past 200-250,000 miles. I still get real money for what I sell.

Good luck with your shopping.

R1Racer99 and 969 like this.