1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's discuss Ductless Mini Split . . .

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 6, 2014.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The is no duct work currently in place. She’s not exactly sure how long she plans to be in the home. Winter time oil heating bill can suck!

2. speedluvn

That’s the plan. Im trying to get back up to speed on the recent information concerning this product.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What has she got, a floor furnace?

Depending on how long she wants to stay, her savings may not pay for the cost unless is significantly increases resale.

4. speedluvn

Radiators

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

Not sure you need a contractor. Maybe a licensed electrician to install the electric side but MrCool sells a kit that is fully charged. Depending on installation location, all you’d need to do is cut holes in the wall and route lines. It’s designed to be installed by DIYer

I have a question for those with these units. What I’ve noticed is they don’t seem to dehumidify very well. Yeah the room is cold but clammy. Anyone else have that experience?

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Military uses them a lot in deployment areas. They work awesomely. I'll definately be installing one in my garage when I buy my next buy house. I also came really close to pulling the trigger on putting one in my trailer.

7. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Mitsubishi is the best you can buy, work the best at lower temps etc.. most aren’t willing to pay for them. I heat my garage with a 15k hyper heat unit. And my company installs them fairly often.

speedluvn likes this.
  8. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

If it’s not dehumidifying then it was sized incorrectly..

9. speedluvn

How do the other brands fair? I’m trying to obtain real world info. I was hoping you and @JBraun would chime in to provide any update info

10. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

We’ve done some Fujitsu’s as well, had a few failures but only one that catastrophic. We have only had one mitsu fail and that was my installers fault.. he brazed thinking it was bs not to and bought himself a shiny compressor. Comfort air is another that we’ve done and they are a nice lower cost option but they are new so who knows on longevity.

speedluvn likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You can use a gas fired boiler as easy as an oil fired...or you can do the mini splits. What does she plan on doing with the radiators and piping? What kind of insulation is on the pipe?

12. speedluvn

Could the current furnace be modified to convert from oil to gas or would a new furnace be necessary? Trying to obtain all of the possibilities

13. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Thinking about a mini-split at my house in Blowing Rock. I've heard good things about Gree units, any thoughts here. Thanks

14. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

most of them have a dehumidify mode that runs the fan on the lowest speed while still running the compressor enough to give more time for the air to have moisture pulled out as it moves across the coil a little slower.

they work VERY well here in st pete florida...

15. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i use GREE units and love em.

had them in the house since 2016, added them in the garage in spring of this year.

16. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Likely not, fuel oil is a dying breed (at least in my area) furnace would need to be replaced.

speedluvn likes this.
  17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

I’ll throw this in just to confuse the issue—
    You could install a oil fired condensing boiler that would be about 92% efficient. This keeps the nice radiator heat. Or you could convert to gas and do same kind of boiler.
    Then install High velocity AC throughout the house. This works well for retro fit and you can often get the air handler in the attic to feed the lower floors. Easier to run than conventional ducts and returns. It also eliminates seeing the mini splits in room and you can get a good filtration system in the house. Of course I have no idea the style house... Or how much she wants to invest if she’s not gonna be there long.

If it’s a one story house that would be awesome-you can run ductwork in the attic poke down through the ceilings —-install a heat pump/AC she can use the heat pump to take the chill off and not burn the oil on days not too cold..... And then have the air conditioning in the summer..

A good consultant could look at a pic of the house and give you a few ideas

speedluvn likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You would have to replace the furnace. My parents did this in their old house 20 years ago. Theirs was a forced air system, not water or steam. If there is no natural gas available, then it is a moot point. Then again, even mini-splits may require an electrical upgrade to be able to use the emergency heat strips.

Is there a separate AC system?

19. speedluvn

Gas source is available. Currently no A/C at all.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Mini splits would give you AC and Heat without ductwork, and IMHO, the fan units wouldn't be any more unattractive than radiators (if we are talking the old cast iron type and not baseboard). Gas furnace using the existing piping would be more efficient than oil, but payback is always dependent on living there long enough for the savings to offset the cost.

speedluvn likes this.