1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a temp chop shop?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I bought a crashed Mustang for it's motor & transmission. It was much cheaper then buying crate stuff from Ford. Garage space is a little tight, and HOA may not be fond of the idea. Storage unit down the street was rather explicit about not working on cars. Immediate termination.

What other options are out there? Anyone in North Atlanta area that has a warehouse / shop space to rent? I can do the work with my FIL pretty quick.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You might want to rephrase the title, less incriminating. :D

Shocker and t500racer like this.
  3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

There is even a website called chopshopatl.com but I think they specialize in produce. :)

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Title change b/c a russian guy operating a chop shop isn't dodgy at all.
    LOL

5axis, DrA5, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Nah, happens all the time.

joec and masshole like this.
  6. rwdfun

rwdfun

Saw a recent local article about a new business idea. The guy has garage and lift space to rent by the hour week or month. He offers tool rentals as well as paid consultation by an onsite certified mechanic. Did so well he opened more locations

See if something like that exists in your area. If not, open a new business doing that.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Got a name ready ))) Chop'R'Us, or Choprus

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I googled things like "Garage space for rent" and all that. A bunch of storage space places pop up, but they don't let you actually do any work. Or Flex spaces at 2K a month.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think they have (or did have) a place like that in Augusta at Fort Gordon for the soldiers.

lopitt85 likes this.
  10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

DIY garages?

Plenty of those in my neck of the woods but useless to you...

11. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Most bases I was on had something like that. It was usually run by MWR. It was great, but only for service members.

lopitt85 likes this.
  12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

they've been doing that with MCs up here in NYC for some time now, i'm going to venture and say over a decade at least. It's like a open garage, you can wrench, there's tools, and they store your bike. They'll even transport it to the track too.

14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Dude just put an ezup in your driveway with the side curtains so no one can see what’s going on.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

They specialize in animal parts, actually.

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Only one way to find out!

Jedb likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Arichitect I worked for in the mid 80's and I talked about this concept, expanded to include woodworking, for those that lived in apartments or were otherwise garage space impaired. We got about as far as the cost of liability insurance if some knucklehead self performed a digitectomy before deciding we were WAY undercapitalized.

18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

We have a motorcycle garage like that. Except no certified mechanic, since that changes the business type, taxation, insurance, ect.

19. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Find your local county airport and see if they have a hangar to rent. Bigger than you need and not great for winter, but no one should bother. The ones around me are something like $250/month and up.

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Problem with that now is most places specify it must be for aviation use. Local airport had a nice hanger for sale cheap (for its size). Was the old tech schools hanger. First sentence was "For aviation use only".