1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's discuss Ductless Mini Split . . .

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

Ok are their any installers we know in the Charlotte area?

Will these things heat a garage? I usually use a propane heater in the winter in the old garage since 55 degrees is Ok for me to work in.

Walls and ceilings of the garage will be insulated..

2. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

they will definitely take care of that, depending on the climate in the peak of winter you may want a hyper heat model (which is capable of producing quite a bit of heat even at -10 degrees) do a dealer search over there, aim for a diamond contractor, grabs you 2 more years of warranty on the compressor & parts, and for the love of god, pick a good installer, these things are picky, one wrong step and they WILL go out on ya.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

How do you determine a "good" installer?

4. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

research them, diamond contractors have mandatory classes that need to be attended & also service classes as well. We took on a apartment complex over here that wanted "green" cert so they used the mini splits, every single unit has failed them, found brazed lines, kinked lines, improper draining.. just shotty work.

5. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I just installed an LG 220V LS model. My garage stays at 72 now instead of 115. I am an idiot for not doing this years earlier. 7yr on the compressor and a 1 yr from the contractor for other parts. I tested the dehumidify option on the remote last weekend. Took it from 75% to 35% RH in little over an hour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

I have two Fujitsu minisplits systems at our house - 60 year old cape cod with in-ceiling radiant heat, so there is no ductwork. Due to the layout of the house, I opted to go with concealed duct units in the knee-wall space, with very minimal ductwork run to the ceiling of the first floor, and to the wall of the second floor. So far, I really enjoy not having to lug 5 window units out of the basement every summer. It's nice to have individual controls for each room too.

Downside? It was about the cost of a Panigale to have it installed.

John

7. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

I have two Self installed mini split heat pumps, one in my office at my shop and one on my 32ft enclosed trailer with living quarters and work area. Both work great and cost less than $700 shipping, by far the best bang for the buck. Keeps my enclosed trailer at meat locker status in the summer and a oven in the winter.

8. toymoney

toymoney Well-Known Member

That's cheap compared to around here, about what a 9k btu with minimal electrical work goes for.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That was just the unit cost w/ lineset.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What kind of power draw do they have?.. would be awesome in a trailer if a genny would power it.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I had to put one in to deal with the heat build up from the equipment I run at home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one rack of crap can heat that 300sq feet to 85-90 degrees in a fairly short period of time. I was killing the little portables on a regular basis.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Good God Kenny are you designing a deathstar?

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Some days. Mostly that's they're just to try and work out the math on when Mongo will succeed at killing road racing in the US. :D

That's the highly virtualized, reduce equipment, low power version. That rack used to have more crap in it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

GF wants to convert from oil. She has a 3 bedroom with a finished basement end of group townhouse.
    She’s considering the mini splits.

Are there any new manufacturers? Of the 3, who should I stay away from?

15. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

just install them yourself it's super easy.

my house has 4 of them (2 up, 2 down) and one of my garages has two, (1 up 1 down)

they're excellent and easy

16. mattology

two yamaha 2000is' in parallel can run a mini split and a fridge at the same time , i haven't tried running a single mini split off one generator but i'll try it when i get home.

because they are soft start and variable frequency drive with inverters they don't have any inrush current when starting.

17. mattology

i have GREE units and they've been rock solid reliable...

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’m thinking as part of a multi-family housing unit, you’re not going to be able to do a damn thing. Licensed contractors and permits and inspections will be required, not only by the HOA but by the municipality/AHJ.

So tell her to start calling contractors and getting quotes, cuz that’s the only way she’s getting a different heating system in place.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What about going natural gas?

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Not sure Frank Moore HVAC in Greensboro goes that far but he's a good guy and corners low.