1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I didnt like jumping at first either,Im late in life to it too..........but I got super comfortable with the jumps in the motocross portion of the hare scramble today and any of the hills that had huge downed trees we had to launch over. As ghetto as it is doing what I did to re-spring it.........it flippin worked on this bike. I did totally mess up my shift shaft though avoiding a rider that paniced in a big downhill launch off a steep hill and I rammed into a downed tree avoiding her. I straightened it out best I could but it wouldnt get past 2nd gear and I had 3 miles to go. The cases let go of a seal or something revving the piss out of it stuck in 2nd getting it to the line,and it puked oil all over the truck bed. Need a new dirty bike now...............good time for an upgrade. Anybody want an FZR or '99 R6?:p.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Are all CRF's 4-strokes?

I can't keep them all straight. My buddy had a Honda 250 4-stroke, but it might have been older than 2010. It's been a few years, so I don't quite remember. I remember he had some issues with it starting when hot, so he swapped to steel valves instead of the stock titanium ones. I guess the titanium helped with high rpm horsepower, but the steel was more reliable. Compared with my KTM 200 2-stroke that had a heavy flywheel and a woods based mid-pipe, I thought the Honda was much easier to jump and land flat, compared to having to time the powerband of the 2-stroke. However, it was much easier for me to crawl up hills at 0-5mph on my KTM as it was setup well for it. The KTM also felt narrower, so it was easier to squeeze between small openings. Overall, I thought his Honda was a great bike and my only big complaint was hot starting and lugging up hills.

3. F

4. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

That makes sense with the titanium valves. Unfortunately I would probably have to keep them. My KTM 450 was terrible with hot starts when it got needing of a new valve job. It also had titanium valves, but was carbed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5. Trans in your Ktm is a lot better suited for that as well. To me that’s almost a bigger difference. I much prefer my old (with a lot of up to date parts) exc 300-ish to my 16 husky 450. I’m not a 2t expert and am still learning this whole dirtbike tbing but my Ktm is just so easy to ride. It’s nice the power valve actually works for tuning it and I actually do change either the apring and / or preload depending on what I’m riding on. Both mine have recluse clutches. Maybe the 450 is just too good of a bike for how I’m riding it and have not “ridden into it” yet. Who knows. Still ride them both I just like the 450 for single track and “cruising” and rhe 2T for rocks, hills etc. Never thought in a million years when I started riding on dirt I’d say that.

cBJr likes this.
  6. britx303

Damn............I forgot to brag, it was my daughters 1st hare scramble yesterday. It was a little unnerving with her going out without me riding along side her in case she needed help but she did great on her own even with a few small crashes she still finished the race......little bird had to eventually fly.

j cal, gpz11, ineedanap and 4 others like this.
  7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Very cool- congrats!

I've been looking around for a KTM 50 Mini for my 3 year old but she hasn't had a lot of time on the Strider and can't do without the training wheels on the bike yet so I will have to remain patient.

britx303 likes this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Demo day at KTM World Highland Park was a blast yesterday. Mid 60s sunny, no dust, tacky trails, and almost perfect conditions. Paul has made a bunch changes to some of the trails and the demos were well attended.
    At 10:30 the sign up line extended way out the front door.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. britx303

There were some 4 year olds on PWs and some little KTM ,maybe that 50 you mentioned.......some of them were really cooking it. I dont know if they ran the full course or not,but that was seriously cool to watch them. I WISH MY PARENTS DID THAT FOR ME!!!!!:D

masshole likes this.
  10. britx303

Did you get the yz250fx?? This was a bike that a few of the "Pro-AA" and "B" guys were saying since I get along well on the TTR225,.......that one of these would be a perfect choice as my upgrade. Nobody could really explain the difference between a yz250f and -fx though when I asked.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the yzf is the MX version.. the "X" is the offroad/wood racing machine. X comes with different suspension valving that will be a hair softer initially to soak up trail trash/roots. 18" wheel to fit taller sidewall rear tire that many prefer for woods, kickstand, bigger gas tank. make no mistake, the X model is a racer, it gets with the program. Fast guys are using it.

pscook and britx303 like this.
  12. britx303

Gotcha,thank you for the clarification,that actually made sense. A couple guys had me more confused with their different theories on what the "X" is:D Im seriously enjoying these hare scrambles and thinking I just might end up at a Yamaha dealer soon to see what kind of year end deal I can get on a yz250fx before the offroad season starts all over again soon.

13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Electric start and wide ratio transmission too.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. MELK-MAN

"wide-ish".. :) not as wide of spacing as the WR model (literally "wide ratio), but not close ratio of the "YZF" mx version. I think the yzf got electric start too, so all of em now are e-start.

15. britx303

Dag gone it! Now that i know that "X" denotes a hare scramble-esque bike,the internet shopping has gotten worse. I did start leaning towards the yz250fx and have been reading up on them since the morning, but now found a leftover 2018 yz250x for 500 bucks less. I do like 2 strokes and tend to be a glutton for punishment:crackup:............Lucky for me my wife already said yesterday we need to just go get a new bike instead of always inheriting someone elses used headaches...............or the cheap vintage junk I seem to gravitate towards:D Whats your take on the 2t versus 4t for woods racing? In this case with both being purpose built for it,does it come down to just personal preference?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

No e-start on the smoker Yams though... I like smokers, got three in the garage right now and you see lots and lots and lots of orange ones woods racing.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

the 2st vs 4st is a debate that will go on as long as both are being produced. Guys go fast, REAL fast, on both. Personally, i will only ride 4st any more. Just love the even linear power delivery from low rpm to high. And have gravitated to smaller displacement for woods racing vs big 350's and 450's. Some are concerned with rebuild costs of the 4st, but you can put a couple hundred hours on a late model KTM (anything after 2013 when new plain bearing crank was introduced vs roller bearing crank) before needing to do much of anything. I have 5 bikes, my 350 has 400 hrs. Original crank and valves have never moved. 2 of my 250's are over 200 hrs, original cranks (and i just finished 3rd overall this weekend in a sprint enduro on my 1st 250 that has 230 hrs on it now).
    The yamaha's are nice, but the 4st yam is over 20lb heavier than the ktm's. No idea why. I think Kurlon above is right, no E-start on the 2st yamahas either. That's a NO GO for me. I will never own another bike without e-start.

18. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I have a 14 YZ450F that i use for ice riding. I added heating elements in the bars (35 watts) and wired them into a "Y" at the capacitor connector. They work great but they only heat when running. On the very cold days (<10 degrees) they cool off between sessions. I would like to replace the capacitor with a small battery so that I can keep the grips on between sessions. Is there any downside to wiring in a battery to replace the capacitor? Would it charge when running?

19. britx303

The lack of starter button is a concern.........:( But I want one sooooooo bad now:D

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

@MELK-MAN

Greg - where are hare scrambles at in Illinois for beginners?

Tks
    M