1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy crap LSU is bringing it.

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Nov 9, 2019.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I believe this is incorrect. I am pretty sure the entire Big 10 record is considered for the East and West division championships. I couldn’t find anything definitive either way, but I am fairly sure that is how it works. Head to head is the tie-breaker if the records are the same between two teams. The three way tie breaker is more complex.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not so fast my friend. It’s divisional. Best from the West plays best from the East.
    In theory a two or three loss team from the West could play an East team with zero losses while another one loss East team sits on the sidelines. I even think it’s happened similar to this prior IIRC.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Nope. PSU is still undefeated in their division. Even if they weren't and beat OSU, they'd still both have 1 Big10 loss and PSU would hold the heads up tie breaker. If PSU wins every game they play from here out, they'll be 1 loss Big10 champions.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Its hilarious to watch people basically argue over what will amount to being Custer's first lieutenant.

No matter who else makes the playoffs, the Tigers are the class of the field this year. Which Tiger is the only question.

5. Spang308

One of them has a defense though.

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

True. And we'll find out about the other once they have a chance to play against some ranked teams.

Dragginass likes this.
  7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Show me 1, JUST 1 SINGLE report that indicated Tua was not 100% healthy in the National Championship game. Please.

8. Spang308

Whether he was healthy or not, Brent completely shut them down. Bama scored their last points 1 minute INTO the 2nd quarter. Let that sink in. On the other side of the ball, Trevor and the boys were filming a highlight reel.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nah...we pretty much suck.

Spang308 likes this.
  10. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

11. 2blueYam

While it is Divisional, the overall record within the Big Ten Conference is the primary ranking for the Big 10 Championship from each division. The record within the division is the second tiebreaker if there is a three team tie in a division. See line item #2 in the link below in the three team tiebreaker section. It is still true that if Penn State beats Ohio State that Penn St. would go to the Big 10 Championship game because they would win the head to head in a two team tie. If Penn St. had lost to both Iowa and Minnesota, then even if Ohio State lost to Penn St as their only loss, Ohio St record of 8-1 in the Big Ten would be better than Penn St record of 7-2 in the Big Ten and Ohio State would go to the Championship game even though Penn St. didn't lose in the division and beat Ohio State. This of course may not be fair, because teams don't play the same in conference non-division opponents, but that is the way it is set up.

https://bigten.org/news/2011/8/10/Big_Ten_Conference_Football_Divisional_Tiebreaker.aspx

tomseviltwin likes this.
  12. Spang308

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

You might want check yours, he wasn’t. He wasn’t Saturday afternoon either. But, it doesn’t matter, Alabama lost those games to better teams.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah. Point being the best team record from the East plays the best team record from the West in the Championship games as I stated. The mechanics of the specifics and what ifs will work themselves out accordingly.

15. Spang308

It all semantics anyway. Ohio State likely destroys everyone in their path until the playoffs. They should win out and handle Minnesota in Indy. The only kiss of death that would keep the Big10 out of the playoffs would be 2 loss Wisconsin getting hot and winning out. That would make them a 2 loss Big10 champ with wins over Minnesota and Ohio St. That scenario requires Minnesota to also lose to Iowa, which is very possible.
    Then here comes Saban backing into the playoffs again for the second time in three years without a conference title game appearance.

16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I see denial is strong with lesser programs.

17. 2blueYam

While Ohio State could run the table, an upset against the Team Up North is possible. The TUN lost a close games on the road against Penn St and WI and trounced Notre Dame and beat Iowa as well. People didn't think Ohio St would win the rivalry game last year, and look how that one turned out. Ohio State would win the tie breaker and likely the championship game. So would a one loss Ohio State team make the playoffs as conference champs?

I believe that Clemson, Ohio State, Minnesota, Penn St, Georgia and LSU have their fate in their own hands by winning out. But only one SEC team and one Big 10 team can do that leaving 3 teams, so who is the other team that is "in" if they win out? Bama, Oregon, Oklahoma, Baylor or someone else? I don't know but it will be fun watching and finding out. For me, anyone that doesn't win their conference shouldn't get an invite to the playoffs unless all of the other conference champions really are not up to the task. How can you be the best in the nation if you aren't the best in your conference? Give it to the better of Oklahoma / Oregon / Baylor assuming they win out. Bama, and any non champ one loss Big 10 teams can all go to bowl games. They had their chance and blew it.

18. Spang308

I think undefeated Baylor would be a lock. Assuming LSU, Clemson and OSU win out, an undefeated Big12 champ wins out over the Pac12 champ. If Oklahoma wins the Big12 and Oregon wins the Pac12, I'd give the nod to Oregon only having lost to Auburn in game 1. That loss to Kansas looks horrible on Oklahoma's resume, and their defense is just terrible. Baylor at least appears to be able to stop somebody. That is what will hurt LSU down the stretch. Ohio State and Clemson have legit defenses paired to powerful offenses that put a ton of points on the board. Florida and Auburn both slowed down LSU's offense, but don't have the scoring potential of Clemson and OSU.
    Post season should be fun.

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

How long ago was it that tOSU got the invite to the playoffs without even making it to the conference championship?

I really hope the selection committee never makes that mistake again.

20. Spang308

2016...it's the year Clemson beat them 31-0. :D