1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work boots. Which brand?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Nov 9, 2019.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I need a good work boot. Needs to be water proof,insulated,and light weight. Do alot of standing on concrete and asphalt. Moderate climbing up and down on things,and even been known to blow a trucker if need be...:crackup::Putter:

Are red wings still the go to boot?

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Yes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I think Ariat makes a better work boot than red wing but that's my personal opinion. 16 yrs as a lineman, I'm tough on boots and like something comfortable.

4. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Red wing lace ups are still the most comfortable to me. That said, I'm currently wearing Tony Llama slip ons and I like them a lot.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As with all footwear, one’s foot shape and past issues make all the difference.

I have two pair of Red Wing boots. Pair #1 fitted locally by a franchised RW dealer and they absolutely kill my feet. Pair #2 were fitted by a little boot store, ~600mi away, just off the Appalachian Trail, and fit perfect. The difference? Pair #1 fitted by a warm body, flatlander who has probably never put in an honest day’s worth of laborious work on their feet in their life. Pair #2 fitted by a tradesman, an experienced AT hiker, and was mentored by a former engineer who is well-known in the AT community for footwear fitments. In fact, the latter guy has fitted me in two different pairs of shoes, after I hobbled into his store barely able to walk (no exaggeration). Within three days, most of my foot issues were gone and remain so. Those two guys, and their respective stores, help people and ship shoes around the world. Again, I live ~600mi away and, out of pure luck, happened to walk into one store, which led me to visiting the other store. I’m four generations onward from the same brand/model shoes originally fitted and am still wearing the same #2 pair of Red Wings.

Work and western boots and apparel-Nick @
    https://www.foxmercantile.com/

Hiking/outdoor footwear and equipment-Rob @
    https://www.outdoor76.com/

Canadian Bacon and BigBird like this.
  6. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Thorogood get my vote.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Or you could give Nick's or White's the foot trace and a bunch of measurements and have some custom, American-made boots.

Jed and BigBird like this.
  8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Wolverines for the machine shop. Went with what was comfortable and off the shelf. Never had any issues.

sharkattack likes this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1 on Redwings, comfy from day 1. try to get the ones made in America.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I prefer Ariat myself, although I do also have a pair of Georgia Boots that don’t piss me off. It is mostly about fit really, but if fit is equal the Ariat is more comfortable at the end of the day. IMO

The Georgia boots do have a smaller footprint and tend to drag less. The Ariat’s do get in the way more.

ToofPic likes this.
  11. Ariat are what I use. They fit my wide feet perfect. To me what’s just as important, if not more than the boot brand is the fit of your particular foot. Once you get to the 150-250 range they are all pretty good boots. That being said I don’t “work” in them I use them when working outside, like clearing brush, building shit, etc. I wear slip on boots as they are also pretty good for snakes which is important at my house when in the brush. I also have a pair of snake boots as well plus hunting boots, waterproof boots (muck don’t fit me well but cabelas brand does). I have boots and shoes for all occasions :)

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You are a regular Imelda Marcos. :D

13. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

As an AT thru hiker, I can tell you the guy from Outdoor 76 is famous on the trail for fitting shoes/boots!

ducnut likes this.
  14. She has nothing on me. What’s actually funny about it is I have a boat load of boots and shoes but usually where one pair of shoes and one pair of boots. I do like having the proper gear when outdoors though, it makes things either more enjoyable or at least tolerable. Having a hip replacement I don’t mess around with I’ll fitting gear boots/ shoes as just getting pronation right has a big effect on how I feel walking or hiking. A new pair of Solomon speedcross 5 wides did show up yesterday. I have yet to try them on. If I’m not going to be in shape I’ll at least have gear to make me think I’m in shape :)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Danner is my go to. Their USA made line isn’t cheap at $200-$400 a pair, depending on style/type of boot, but are high quality and last for years. The fit my feet well and are very comfy. I think I’m up to 8 or 9 pairs.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I finally gave Wolverine a try a few yrs ago, loved them!
    They're much lighter than the boots I was wearing before them (which I still have) but noticed a seam above my left heel separated.... right where they have this plastic like reinforcement wrap around the ankle area. So im now turned off by that brand.....i still wear them cuz the soles are in great shape still but def not water or cold proof....

FWIW.....I've been getting lots flyers from workboot.com on those Danners lately.....

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I wear Ariat daily for over a year now.Truck driving,off loading equipment,build supplies,working in all elements.
    Best boots ever for me,I even wear them on weekends .They do not like water,but are bad ass otherwise,and the Mexticans
    on the job sites love my boots and compliment me on them regularly,and they know boots!!:D

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

last time this was discussed... @Sprinky said Thorogood. I have to agree. The only downside is the soles are soft... so if you are on your feet 8hrs/day... Id give them 2yrs max. Im up & down ladders, stairs, dirt, water, concrete, trusses, rebar, roofs, simplex nails, old shingle roofs, etc... give them a 9 out of 10. I got the composite toe, 8" water proof ones. I also get a couple hundy a year for shoes so...
    The leather is exquisite. :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Got some Thorogood made in USA mocs a year ago. Love em. Looking at some handmade boots now for a backup. JK 300x or White's Millwood. Any experience w these?

And on a whim Drew's Logger. Not sure a logger style will be comfy since I'm inside all the time. I just like the look.