1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cell phone that is not an Apple or Samsung

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Nov 7, 2019.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

You need to come out from that rock you live under, Android outsells Apple.... believe it or not.

Cannot stand Apple!!! Nor the fact that i dropped 2+k for two of them earlier this yr as a result of the kiddo's having a kick ass school year. Also made it clear it'll be their last upgrade for a long ass time sho take care of them! :D

I refuse to pay what they're asking for these phones new so i buy used from now on. I bought a Note 8 just before they released 10 and love this thing.... I've been wanting tti give that Pixel a try but this is my second Note phone and love having the pen as an option. I don't use it daily but enjoy having it since i have sausage links for fingers.

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Well you don't need delicate hands when your job used to be beating up poor minorities with a billy club! :D

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

The LG high end phones are pretty close to stock Android. They have a couple apps, but you don't have to use them. There is no special LG system or menus like a Samsung phone.

Sent from my smatrfone

4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i wonder what kind of video resolution he gets while going into somebody's backyard uninvited then shooting their dog?

retired cop buying $2k of cellphones... must be on the take for sure. :beer:

5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I'm going to look hard at the OnePlus 7Pro when it's time. The 90Hz refresh rate has me curious. Oppo would be a strong contender too. If the build quality is anything like my bluray player, I can't imagine anything being better built.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Great phone, especially for riding, the thing was waterproof to like 6ft or something. Mine just didn't have the space I needed for work apps or I'd still use it.

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Pixel or Motorola.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, you'd jizz your jordache's over the Oppos. ;)

bleacht likes this.
  9. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

I second LG for sure. My V20 is going on 3 years old now with the only noticeable issue being the battery doesn't last like it did when new. I've never had a phone last so long- not the few iphones I've had, not even the brick Nokias.

After having the knock on feature and back mounted fingerprint scanner on the LG you won't want to go to anything else.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Motorola unlocked phones major sale today. Amazon matching prices. Free same day delivery

11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

After my last LG bricked itself, stuck on the boot up screen, I'll never get another one. I forget the model, but I think it was a V10. Read so many complaints of people having the same thing happen to them and LG doing zero about it. Only fix was to replace the board, or buy a new phone.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My experience has been good. Zero problems, so I never had to call LG. Still using whatever model my last one was as a media player and smart device controller.

Bruce likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

well that's unfortunate, but they've come a long way since then. At one point I swore off of them, but gave them another chance when google used them for the G5.

the G5 was great, I cracked the screen and tried to fix it myself, and well that was that. but it was running exceptional. Then got a Samsung S5 or s6, that was a utter pile of trash. then V30 which is still going strong almost 2 years later. and in addition a G7 because I "lost" the V30 for a week on field trip, and it's great.

so long story...the new LG's are great. Give them another shot, especially since it's pure much stock Android 9

Bruce likes this.
  14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Another Motorola user here. This is my 1st one and it's been the best phone I've ever had. It's the motoZ2. The battery can go two days and if you buy the backpack battery it just snaps on the back via magnet and seems like it will go forever without a charge. You can get other snap on stuff like speakers, projector, etc. I only have the battery.

I hate iphones with a passion. They are POS. The wife and daughter are the holdouts in my family that still buy them and every one they get is riddled with issues.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That was the experience I had with LG and why they were not on my list. But it was quite a while ago. A G4 I believe. I liked everything about the phone except for the big FU that LG gave everyone over a known issue. If I recall correctly it had to do with how the processor was soldered to the board.

Bruce likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My LG G6+ has been awesome. The G5 I had previously was a pile, mostly because it wasn't moisture resistantant and the "on" button would not work properly.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Other than being too big my current Motorola G6 is fine. I sure miss my original MotoX.

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

My MotoX Pure's selling points included just that (what they mean by Pure). Not sure what current model would have the same claims.

BigBird likes this.
  19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What do you like so much about the Oppos? I know they can be misleading at times but looking at the specs there are other phones with what looks to be better hardware in that price point.

20. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Pocophone F1 user. Anybody herd of them?

terminus est likes this.