1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Help - Network Adapter

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Nov 7, 2019.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I have an HP laptop, it recently performed a windows update and somehow deleted the wireless network adapter from the computer. As in, it no longer shows up in my hardware list, so I do not have the ability to enable/disable or update drivers.

I have tried to google search this issue and fix it but everything explains how to update drivers, which I can't do because it doesn't even appear under network adapters.

If anyone could help me resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

2. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

Device manager -> scan for hardware changes. See if it pops up

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Use another computer possible? If so, can probably use your service tag on hp.com and see what model it is and get the executable file.

Sent from my smatrfone

4. ScottyRock155

Does not find it.

What file do I need? I'm ok with computers, but I don't fully understand how to do what you're suggesting. I can use the computer when plugged into ethernet.

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

There's a couple of videos on YouTube about this
    TechFixIt
    Techrich

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’m not a Windows guy but do you have an install disk? Maybe you can install a driver from media then update it to the latest from there?

Just a thought.

7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

In Device Manager (run it as Administrator), select View and choose Show Hidden Devices. See if it shows up under the Network Adapter section. If it does, delete it and then scan for hardware changes as above.

If it doesn't show up in hidden devices, then go to HP's support site and download their network driver for your model. It should be an executable (.exe) or a installer (.msi) file. Run that and it should re-install your network adapter. Be sure to choose the driver package for your version of Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10, etc.)

backcountryme likes this.
  8. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

One more option is to try a system restore point prior to windows update. If enabled it should have created one.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What model? Exact model number. It could be on a sticker underneath.

10. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

See if HP Support Assistant is installed. Plug into Ethernet and run it, download updates it shows. If it’s not installed just search for HP Support Assistant on the web and install it. It should install any outdated or missing drivers with relative ease.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. ScottyRock155

I tried all 4 fixes from the TechFixIt video and it did not help my problem.

So when I selected "show hidden" it did actually show up! That was the first time I've seen any sign it existed. I chose uninstall, then scanned for hardware changes and it did not reappear. I also tried the network reset and it still does not appear now under hidden or otherwise.

I then tried to go to HP support and find the driver. I selected it and it prompted me to use the install wizard which I did. During the install it said "this file already exists, do you want to overwrite" to which I said yes, it then finished the install and there is no change.

I do have this on my computer and have tried running it previously. It shows that everything is working fine with ethernet and will not do any kind of diagnosis on wireless.

HP Pavilion M7

Thank you everyone for the help, sorry if any of my answers aren't clear but I'm out of my depth at this level of troubleshooting.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Sent from my smatrfone

backcountryme likes this.
  13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Long shot, but does your laptop have a physical switch to turn off the wifi? This is an uncommon (but occasional) feature on "business" laptops. All of our work laptops have this. It shows visual proof that the wifi is off and generally works on a hardware level, literally "turning it off". A security/radio interference thing at many sites.

Oh yeah... If you do... and it's off... turn it on. :p

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sorry my friend how about a serial number? There are a half dozen M7 models.

You can always try the "Network Troubleshooter" in Windows. Sometimes it actually works.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Attached Files:

• HP.png
      HP.png
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  16. ScottyRock155

So that wireless key on my computer turns the airplane mode on and off. Are you telling me this entire thing is as simple as holding down the function key and it will turn on my network adapter?

I'm at work or I would quickly test this myself.

17. Venom51

Function keys can trigger UEFI/BIOS level actions. It is very possible you accidentally triggered the physical wireless to turn off. Give it a shot. You won't be the first to have had it happen to them. If you get no response from it then it is possible the physical hardware has failed. That's not very common however but it is possible.

18. Venom51

I do seem to recall a recent update causing issue for a specific wireless chipset from Intel. I'll see if I can dig it up.

19. Venom51

20. ScottyRock155

Product ID? If so that is 00326-10000-00000-AA358. I have tried the network troubleshooter in windows and the HP assistant. They just tell me my ethernet is working fine, which is technically correct.

Edit - Found it somewhere else 2CE2270GNZ

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019