1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Captain buys the Speedway

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 4, 2019.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

2. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Well that's interesting, can't wait to see how this plays out

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Does this mean that Tony George finally gets to take a long walk off a short pier ???

motion, SteveThompson and scottn like this.
  4. rwdfun

rwdfun

Interesting good or interesting bad?

5. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Hopefully good...Penske has the capital to do whatever he wants. Hopefully more events can happen here.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn! :eek:

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm going with good simply because he may open the place up to more racing, even though the Hulman's have been going down that path themselves for a while now.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I would say there would have to be some conflict of interest owning the series and being the owner of teams running in that series.

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

Sorta like being the President, CEO and Chairman of the Board at the same time? What could go wrong with that, other than 737s droppin outa the sky

11. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I thought he owned another track that they raced on during the CART days but I can’t remember for sure, maybe it was Michigan Intl Speedway...

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

You mean like the France family?

R Acree and Cawk Star like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Penske originally owned California Speedway and Indy car or CART raced there.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Or the Abrahams and Brno?

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He bought Michigan Speedway back in the early 7os, but IndyCar doesn't race there anymore. He built Fontana Speedway. A press conference suggested they will be having more events, and not all are racing events. They've been having large corporate functions and a few concerts there, The Stones were there a few years ago. GP bikes would be nice!

16. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I remember this. One year they actually had two competing races at the same time. The Indy 500 with IRL at Indy and the US 500 with CART at Michigan Int'l Speedway. Detractors said that CART stood for "Crybabies At Roger's Track".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._500

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Wasn't that actually IRL, not USAC?

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Corrected. It was IRL, but the Indy 500 was traditionally sanctioned by USAC. The link clarifies.

backcountryme and stk0308 like this.
  19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The France family doesn’t own any teams as far as I know, same but different. :D

Slightly different than owning teams that race in the series you now own.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I guess Nascar made an offer, but thankfully Penske had a better offer.