1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who’s going deer hunting?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Oct 31, 2019.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Sit in woods, point gun at deer, squeeze trigger. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Except that's probably someone's land. I also don't know anything about the follow up like field dressing it then getting it processed... or doing it yourself. As much as I hate them, I won't kill anything just to kill it. I'm that guy that picks up spiders inside and lets them go outside. :)

3. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You tube is your friend.

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

What's that stuff on the ground.

5. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Knock on their door. They might consider them to be just as much of a nuisance and would be glad for someone to thin the herd. Offer them some meat in exchange. As far as dressing it - you don't necessarily have to know how. The guy I use to process the meat charges $20 to dress it. I'd rather pay him that $20 than mess with it myself because he'll do a better job, anyway. All I've gotta tell him is how I want it processed. Sausage? Snack sticks? Ground? Etc. I just drag the deer out of the woods and into my truck and drop it off at his place. A week later I have delicious venison to eat. Talk to hunters in your area and find out who does a good job. Some places don't give you your own meat back. They just give you however much yours weighed dressed. Don't forget to check the cleanliness of the place. If you call your local game warden they can probably set you in the right direction.

I'm not into killing for sport, either, and was in your position just a few years ago. Whatever I kill goes in my freezer. I've bagged 3 trophies (and a number of does/small bucks) without ever spending a dime on corn or any other kind of bait. Nor hunting specific gear. Dress in dark colored clothing, get some No Scent spray to mask your presence as much as possible, sit in a ground blind or tree stand and wait. I've gone weeks of not seeing anything and I've seen herds of 10-15 with a number of mature deer at the same time.

ToofPic likes this.
  6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

But it's currently deer season in most places and they're tasty. :)

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

At minimum, I will be muzzle loader hunting in Minnesota. I built a new hunting rifle, so I'd like to try hunt Wisconsin too(public land).

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Two of my buddies just pulled monsters out of public land in Manitowoc county last week. The deer in the middle of the state (as opposed to up North, where I hunt) are big corn fed suckers

9. Scotty87

Same here. I won’t kill anything I’m not going to eat, and I won’t throw a fish in the livewell just to hang it on the wall later. Not that I’m in that position often, but still. :D

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

spiders 2.png

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Killing some time in a tree stand in MD at this very moment. Perfect reading. I have plenty of guns but only use them for night time varmint hunting. Picked up bow hunting about ten years ago and 95% of what I learned was from magazines, TV and you tube. Most my friends only gun hunt so I’m usually on my own. This is my first day out this year so I’m pretty jacked. Grew up in the woods and if I’m lucky I’ll die in the woods , hopefully of old age

MachineR1 likes this.
  12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

My office view in a couple weeks.
    deeroffice.jpg

I'm getting some electronic ear buds for this year. Last year when the deer ran across the woods way in the back, I had to think what the fuck a braked rifle is gonna sound like going off INSIDE a blind without hearing protection.

13. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My cousin just nailed his 2nd 10 pointer in 2 weeks.He hunts a small plot at the end of a runway.I used to hunt with
    my dad,but the deer were very sparse in the 80's.Now you can find them in city limits in Ga..
    Its not hunting to me,if you bulldozer all the woods and force them to reside in your yard/apartment complex.
    I no longer hunt,I feel sorry for them,but I will eat the hell out of them.

14. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Isn't deer season still like a religion in WI?
    I remember when kids would bring a note from their parents, to take days off school for deer season.

Plus, I was just reading that WI has way too many deer.

15. Scotty87

It is. Even though I’ve been here over 30 years, I’m still an Illinois transplant and the natives remind me often. I live less than 2 miles from the state line so I don’t experience a lot of the ‘real Wisconsin’ shit. This is only my second year deer hunting so I have a lot to learn.

16. Scotty87

I can’t believe you run a brake on a hunting rifle. Fuck that. The 6.5 creed I put together with a 20” barrel is pretty tame, all things considered. I still run ear pro. Got enough hearing loss as it is.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

There's about 8 grazing in my front yard if any of you wanna take them out.

Can't stand the oversized rats.

18. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Snow.

19. F ing wind shift... mother f$cking wind has been going the right direction until the day I have time to be out there.