1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dog bark suppressor thing, opinions please

Discussion in 'General' started by sicc, Nov 1, 2019.

1. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

my dog has developed a habit that when she goes outside she immediately starts barking. I think shes trying to talk to the neighbor dogs or something. this wasnt common when i got her, just started ramping up a few months ago.

im opposed to shock collar stuff. google shows some ads for ultrasonic sounder devices they claim are not harmful. anyone used these with success? perhaps a method of training to prevent the barking? she responds to commands to come inside no problem but no joke, as soon as her head pokes out the doggy door she's already barking.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So what? Unless you’re violating the noise law, let her be a dog. It lets people lurking around know that you have a dog.

3. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

with my personality i dont like causing my neighbors grief, but more than that it pisses me the fuck off :)

not so much during the day, but when evening rolls around.

418 and motoboy like this.
  4. fastedyamaha

if she’s only out for 10-15 minutes it’s not a nuisance to your neighbors. It’s a natural behavior in an animal.

jd41 likes this.
  5. joec

joec brace yourself

They make bark collars that spray any liquid you can put in them. Some use a noise before the spray for conditioning. You can use water to spray. But it sounds like normal initial excited behavior from being outside.

Senna likes this.
  6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

The ultrasonic things don’t work on little yippy dogs. If it’s a normal sized dog it’ll work.

7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

She's just catching up on the neighborhood gossip she missed while she was locked up inside.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

when she's old and stops it, you'll miss it. if she doesn't bark inside, then let it be.

Jedb and Sabre699 like this.
  9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

My dog does same thing but mostly when dark. I think he does it because he knows there may be other animals out there and is yelling at them to get of his property :)
    I have Coyotes walking around and hawks/owls sitting on polls and trees and both my dogs are aware of them.
    My other dog just pokes head out first and checks around, if clear she goes out do duty and quick back inside.
    In daytime he will only bark if somebody or something is out there in yard.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Back in the early nineties my college roommate had a dog that was dumber than a box of rocks. The thing wouldn't stop barking so he tried the shock collar thing. Result: bark, bark, yipe!…… bark, bark, yipe!…. bark, bark, yipe! The dog never did learn.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

OP: I have a problem I need help with.
    Beeb: No you don't.

12. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Wanta bet?

seroj, XFBO and speedluvn like this.
  13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Tough situation, dogs are dogs but there are stupid dogs and chickens that never shut up. What kind of dog? A little yapper? I got used to it in the islands, dumb dogs barking all night and the whole thing of rooster crowing at sunrise is a mith. All day everyday, kind of miss it.

14. fastedyamaha

some problems have more realistic solutions than others...

15. fastedyamaha

yes. 15 minutes of a dog barking? I wish my life was that perfect that that was a nuisance to me. Call any of the agencies that would deal with a barking dog noise complaint and they’ll laugh their asses off at you for wasting their time for a 15 minute complaint

BigBird likes this.
  16. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

Doggy door is typically umlocked 24/7. I also have a chia way way and a bastard of a cat. The little doggy barks too but he's a puss and only stays out long enough to do his business. The cat is a mouse murderer and I once caught him on the security camera going toe to toe with a cayote.

17. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

This guy gets it

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

If I ever have a dog again it will be over 50 #, the smaller the dog the smaller the brain. My sister has a 14 year old dachinsd that still shits in her house and doesn't understand basic commands. My boxer could balance a piece of pepperoni on his nose, snap my finger and catch it

Phl218 likes this.
  19. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

This

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Get a trainer. We had a guy named Larry from Barkbusters (franchise), when our 2 boxer bitches wouldn’t get along any more.
    He started out with basics and we had good success to the point where we felt we could leave them to themselves without worrying. (Or around the 1yo at the time)

barkbusters also offers a guarantee for keeping the goal accomplished, as long as you do the exercises as agreed.

our neighbors ended up hiring him too for the little rat they inherited from their son. Was barking too much and a general pain. After 5 sessions we haven’t seen Larry again and the neighbors seem happy when we see them with the dog.