1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about MSO and titling issues

Discussion in 'General' started by WolFeYeZ, Oct 30, 2019.

1. WolFeYeZ

WolFeYeZ Active Member

Hey All,

I bought a frame recently that had a "clean title" and when I received the title it turned out to be an MSO. I didn't think much of it at the time. I went to the DMV who told me I can't get it titled in my name due to it being signed over to an individual on the MSO, which was not me. Is this fairly normal, or is my state just screwing me over? I have been back and forth with the DMV on a couple trips, with no luck.

I am hoping someone on here has been though something similar or has some insight.

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Very true. Only options: get original buyer to title and sign over to you, or see if your state allows to register as a recovered vehicle.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Contact the Dealer on the front of the MSO and see if the will do an affidavit stating it was filled out incorrectly and that you are the purchaser. The probably wont but worth a shot.

4. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

MSO is not a title and since it has someone else's name on it, it's not clean

Have the seller provide a clean title or refund your money

5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

How do you sign over an MSO? I didn't think there was a way to do that. I've had to turn in the MSO to get a title so it's always been one or the other.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

honda as assignable spaces on some. Otherwise since you have the mso just get a bonded title fot $150ish

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Why do I read these threads?
    What state? In case it would make a difference- probs not.
    My Google is broken-
    What the F is an MSO? I've heard of a Bill of Sale?
    If seller had Advertised a 'clean title', and that's not what you got, While I realize you wanted the product,
    But....

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Manufacturers Statement of Origin (?)

G 97 and TurboBlew like this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes, the MSO is from the manufacturer to the dealer. It can be filled out and passed from dealer to dealer to dealer forever until it's sold to the public then the MSO is turned into the DMV. They then issue the title from that. The MSO is basically worthless to a individual.

When dealers do unit transfers they fill out the MSO, sign it and it goes with the unit.

10. phillip doyle

phillip doyle Well-Known Member

If you have a very good relationship with a dealer, you can get them to reassign the MSO to you. This is what a dealer would do if you bought something from them that was sold but never titled. Be sure to offer them some cash to cover their time and trouble.

11. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

That other big part of getting an mso/mco turned into a title is somebody has to pay the sales tax. Since it likely never happened and thats why that mso/mco never got turned in to have a title issued.

beac83 likes this.
  12. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

But Wasn't this for a frame only? Dealers are selling frames now? Or was it a whole MC, and you wanted the frame.
    If the frame came off a MC, it would have a title. How did the get this MSO thingy then?

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Not if the bike was purchased to be raced, was raced, was disassembled, and now the frame is being sold without a title.

Just my guess.