1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive truck/suv advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Fonda Dix, Oct 29, 2019.

1. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Nissan Frontier over a Tacoma if that's the direction you're going. The 05-09/10s had trans issues (autos only). Or same gen Xterra? If they're not rusted to shit, pretty practical and easy to find.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Curious, how much of your own mechanical work are you guys doing on these "beater" cars yourselves? When, if ever, do you throw in the towel on performing your own mechanical work?

3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I picked up a 97 Miata 5spd with 145k miles on it for $2300 a few years back. I tried to get the guy down to $2000, but he wouldn't go any lower and the car had an extensive maintenance history. I beat the crap out of that car for 5 years and other than regular maintenance, I only replaced a clutch slave and brake master that failed. Sold it with 189k miles for $2400.

Other than paint and body work, I do it all myself unless it's an absolute "emergency" (like a radiator end tank cracking while on my way to work the day before I leave for a race weekend).

I just replaced a motor mount on my Sierra. It took me an hour and I ended up saving $115 in labor and whatever mark up the mechanic puts on the part.

speedluvn likes this.
  4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I reckon that's the point. How much is your time worth? If you buy a beater for $2000 and then spend 50 hours and $2000 getting it running, are you really better off than if you had just spent $5000 on a car that was already running?

Having done both myself, I prefer to "fish a little further upstream" and buy the $5-10,000 used car that will likely run for several trouble-free years. However, there is some satisfaction from getting a clapped out beater running.

Or maybe speedluvn was making a different point.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I'll tinker on motorcycles, but won't touch a car.

6. dtalbott

If it won't run or needs lots of work, it sure as hell isn't worth $2000.

turner38 likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

damn..that's a nice deal. I'm always skeptical when I see deals like that. Like I'll probably get literally robbed skeptical.

8. dtalbott

Take whatever amount you are comfortable for a monthly car payment and multiply that by 6.

That's your budget. If I can spend $2000 or less and it runs problem free for six months, I'm then on bonus time.

Any issues after six months, take it to the recycler and start over.

pscook likes this.
  9. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I think it also comes down to the rate of return and knowing what you're buying. Buying a $2000 beater (that's only worth $3000) and then dropping $2000 to get it running doesn't makes sense.

My buddy found the deal of the year a few years ago. He bought a 2004 Z06 for $10k because the original owner thought the motor spun a bearing. My buddy went out there, fired it up and could tell it was a broken valve spring. Picked it up, pulled the head off to check for piston/valve damage and installed new valve springs and retainers. Drove the car for a year and sold it for $18k. Even if he needed to put a new bottom end in it, he would have made money on it.

BigBird likes this.
  10. dtalbott

Pick up a minivan dirt cheap, remove all the seats except driver and front passenger, and you've got a decent enclosed pickup truck.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

You had me at minivan :D

dtalbott likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I threw in the towel on putting a wheel bearing in my equinox.

This after doing a top end rebuild on it for a burned exhaust valve.

Mostly, though, because I was too damn busy and the dude in the shop next door offered to take care of it for me.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

I found your problem :D

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I ain’t found a car yet I can buy for $6. :D

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’m not complaining. AWD, remote start, heated seats, all-in for under $3500 with the top end rebuild and wheel bearing.

Gets the kids around, keeps my ass warm and I’ve always got the pimp yeller Ferrari-looking Neon if something catastrophic happens. ;)

BigBird likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I am not a great mechanic, but I'll do what I can do avoid paying someone $120/hr + for something that the internet can tell me how to do. The most "beat" beater I've owned was a 2001 Grand Marquis I had a few years ago; also had the most "complex" repairs I've done. It spit out a spark plug that I helicoiled in my driveway (after driving home on 7 cylinders) then got parked when the fuel pump died in the middle of winter. Went and bought a 2006 Sienna with 190K on it for $4200 that I drove for 3 years and 35K miles with nothing more than a couple O2 sensors to replace. After 2 years sitting I finally replaced the Mercury's fuel pump and it fired right up and ran fine. Sold it for maybe $1000 less than I had into it (drove it for probably 20K total). I've moved up in the world- now driving a 2006 LS430 with 180K that cost me the Sienna and $2K. If the wife hadn't made me that sweet deal I'd probably have spent $10-12K on a LS460.

turner38 and BigBird like this.
  17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dude chimed in yesterday and said problem solved. But yet y'all roll on 3 more pages and didn't even notice. The hell's wrong witchall?

BigBird and turner38 like this.
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The 430 is a nice ride, just make sure you don’t let the timing belt go too long.... They tear a lot of shit up if it jumps time.

I’ve always been a beater car kind of guy too until I bought the Silverado I drive now. If we don’t race next year it may get sold and replaced with whatever I can scrounge up. It is the only vehicle I’ve ever had I had to
    Make payments on that is MY daily driver.

I like cars I can buy for $500 and then fix...

19. Tristan

Dude asked a ridiculously vague question about SUV's/trucks and ended up gifted an Accord... when we tire of this subject we will move on to sous vide or whatever the fuck else we want, and you may KISS IT.

Fonda Dix, BigBird and pickled egg like this.
  20. Tristan

What's "too long"? It was done at just under 100K and has about 185 on it now.