1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro Hero8 Black

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Oct 11, 2019.

1. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

The deal w/ the GoPro 360 Fusion was the software was shitty and getting it to do the 360 view was a chore.

Any word on whether they improved on that front w/ the Max? Ideally it'd be one camera that you could mount on the triple to capture both line and body position, but that might be asking for a lot.

BigBird likes this.
  2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

The heavy lifting part, the stitching, is now done in camera. The file is a .360 file so you'll need to convert it. If you're on Mac, there is a program to do the converting, reframing and tweaking. If you're Windows, there is a converting program that you can kick out to a file that can be used in Premiere type programs. The team is still working on a fuller Windows program to try and negate the need for additional programs (like FCP or PP).

The App has been improved and you can do reframing to your clip right on the App and kick it out there as well. Android is more finicky than iOS due to the fragmented nature of the Android OS.

Doing 360 work in post is simply difficult but I think the team is making good strides in making it easier. I suppose it really depends, do you want and actual 360 file (move around in the video) or reframed (you edit the view that you want your finished file to look like).

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

yeah that's the reason I didn't look at the Max. I was like I barely have time to download the video. Also, it was not part of the sale :oops:

4. code3ryder

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

interesting.. would like to see how it goes. The quality of the fusion video also left a lot to be desired. it looked no better than my goPro HD, and it seems like they worked on it.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. code3ryder

the audio is rad. the video is way too shaky and gets pretty blown out. great setup if you kind of want a dashcam/headset combo.

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

friends that tried this unit hated it. compared to the image stabilization available now, it sucks. The biggest issue was the battery life. Midway thru the day they would have no comms. I don't recall if it was easy to swap batteries, but I remember them not being too happy with the setup. separate comms now - Packtalk is the current top setup for most of the groups I ride with.

but if you are a vlogger, that would probably be an ideal setup except for the jiggy video.

9. code3ryder

here's a moto vid that I did. Just went for a spin around the block to play with MAX. You can do some fun stuff with it.

BigBird likes this.
  10. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

from what i am reading, the max in Hero Mode is the ultimate gimbal for moto stuff.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Looks a lot better than the last gen. Wonder if I can trade it now.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Any one who was interested in a Hero 8 Black, let me know I have ONE discount code for 25% off one. Message Me if you're going to ACTUALLY use it. AMEX offer is still available as well.

13. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

dammit, I used the trade-in offer from them this week and ordered an 8 Black.

14. mattology

I'm going to be getting a Max this week and giving it a go. The Fusion, while I love it, pretty much requires adobe premiere pro and a ton of time with key framing to get it to work as well as the max supposedly does in hero mode with hypersmooth on and horizon leveling enabled..

... at least that's what they say.

I'm finally figuring out how to do two cameras at once... what a pain in the royal ass.

i also updated my rear mount after launching the Fusion on Saturday, so hopefully there might not be as much vibration on it. next thing i'm thinking of doing is building a small mass damper for it, lol!

15. mattology

You guys, I bought a Max, and it's incredible.

straight out of the camera the footage is perfectly usable and ready for clipping / editing like it were a regular go pro.

in "hero mode", with max hypersmooth on and horizon leveling, it's about the best damn camera you can imagine for mounting on a bike.

I haven't used 360 mode with it yet, but i will compare its work flow in 360 compared to the work flow on my Fusion to let you know what's better and what's worse.

But i think for 99% of bike footage, hero mode with horizon leveling and hyper smooth enabled is the way to go.

code3ryder likes this.
  16. code3ryder

Are you on a Mac or on Windows?

Glad you like it. The stabilization is epic. lmk if you have any q's.

17. mattology

i am on a windows machine.

here is some footage to show the level of stabilization and horizon leveling possible with this thing....

gonna try it on a bike with gyroscope mount next...

mdhokie likes this.
  18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I just bought a Jolt 360 for my brother for Christmas. 40$ lol. It's nowhere near the quality of the GoPro, but at that price, it's pretty cost efficient to get some 360 footage. And the App totally sucks lol.

19. code3ryder

The gyro won't help and might actually make it worse as the camera will be fighting it for steadiness. The camera knows where it needs to go, the gyro says I'm going this way and the camera has to adjust. Worth a shot to see but know that the footy might be worse.

20. mattology

sorry, gyroscope mount was a drunken brain fart. what i meant was " rossi gyrocam butt cam style " not like, on an actual gyro

code3ryder likes this.