1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's trading in their car first?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Oct 26, 2019.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Oh NO! We need The Government to tell us what to do! We can't possibly think for ourselves. And we all know that free market doesn't work, right?

speeddaddy likes this.
  2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Schumer doesn’t care about you New York north country dwellers

K51000 likes this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Neither does Cuomo or 98% of the other elected cocksuckers.

Do I sound bitter ? :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Just busting your balls
    I’m not that far from you

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I didn't bother to research ICE vehicle growth over the same period, but I'd be pretty surprised if it looked anything like the below. To be clear, electrics are "winning the war" - this bill is designed to expedite the process.

[​IMG]

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

And presumably (using libtard logic) when everyone goes electric that will immediately result in a global cooling effect to counteract the global warming that's been going on so this problem is going to be even worse right....right? :confused:

I think this has probably been asked before, or maybe not, but how does a typical electric vehicle do with towing trailers anyway? Does that chop their mileage range in 1/2 or something?

7. Banditracer

Where are you ?

8. 418

418 Expert #59

First off, I wanna see those numbers after the tax credit of 2019 expired.

Secondly, in 2018 5.3 million passenger cars were sold in US.

So EV's account for 6.8% of all passenger car sales, while being subsidized with tax credit that is not available anymore AFAIK.

But yes, that's some impressive data posted in a vacuum.

XFBO, speeddaddy and crashman like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

17.2 million light vehicle sold in 2018. Electric makes sense for some, but it is not a panacea. Let's see the sales numbers without having to rob from your neighbors to buy one.

speeddaddy and 418 like this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Objectively, electrics are taking market share - that was the point of my posting that up (I even qualified it by saying I didn't compare to ICE growth as I was certain it wasn't going to be competitive). To be fair, the US has cheaper gasoline than any other industrialized country on the planet (depending on how you classify Russia) so it's hard to strip out the government's intervention and get to a true "baseline". For the record, I don't have nor am I planning on purchasing an electric vehicle anytime soon (except for this little electric bike I just got for my girls). When I ride in my friends' Teslas, that fucking regen braking makes me nauseous - I hate how it's either accelerating or decelerating and can't just "cruise".

Norway is the world leader in electric car market share at 46%. Doubly weird as it's really cold there and they're the largest producer in West Europe of oil and gas.

BigBird likes this.
  11. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

Norway is 150,000 sq miles.
    I think electric is a great idea for large cities. And playbikes. But to think it will or should overtake ic is wishful. The technology and infrastructure is just not there, why rush or push it? Like someone else said let the market decide.

418 likes this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yeah...you sure about that. Now put the ICE sales numbers with it.

14. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE

Norway is the world leader in electric car market share at 46%. Doubly weird as it's really cold there and they're the largest producer in West Europe of oil and gas.[/QUOTE]

https://www.statista.com/statistics/731659/number-of-sold-passenger-cars-in-norway/

Looks like around 150,000 year

Finding a state with similar population:
    Norway population: 5.3M
    Minnesota population: 5.6M

Minnesota had 250,000 new vehicles sold last year. https://autoalliance.org/in-your-state/MN/

Norway has incentives for buying electric: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/02/7091...-norway-making-up-nearly-60-of-sales-in-march
    From that article "And then there are the incentives. For years, Norwegians who opted for a zero-emissions car enjoyed a wealth of benefits, including an exemption from sales, import and road taxes." "Those policies have changed, but owners of electric and other zero-emissions cars still face only up to 50 percent of the going rate for tolls and parking."

So the high end electric vehicles are subsidized.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Norway peeps are woke with climate change.
    Oh and close enough for me.:D

16. 418

418 Expert #59

17. Banditracer

Well all I'm going on with the no heat thing is I know couple with a Prius and he says it's worthless in the winter. I suppose your can take a little electric heater and set it on the dash. :rolleyes:

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider buying one for this specific reason but since the Tesla's kicked up the EV game a whole bunch, if money wasn't an issue, I think I'd DEF give one of their vehicles a try. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea for many households to own at least one. My wife, for instance, works 8 miles away and the vast majority of her shopping is in the city here, I'm thinking an EV would be a decent fit for her and local driving in general. Lately, when we go away we either take my Ram (cuz it gets better mileage than her Pathfinder) or we rent a car for a few days to keep the mileage down on our personal vehicles. Def NOT an EV hater, I think due to their existence we've seen massive advancements in the battery sector that has trickled down to a lot of stuff we use daily, ie. power tools, wireless lighting, etc......keep'em coming!

stk0308 likes this.
  19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

When they get a battery powered truck to replace my 7.3 Ford Dually for the same price, up keep, ease of ownership and Milage Range, let me know... till then, Get Off My Lawn.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    YamahaRick, cav115, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd take an Audi e-tron in a second if someone else is paying for it, the charger and the charger install. Oh, I need a new house with a garage to put the charger, the tax payers need to pick up that tab also.