1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whacky tach - 2005 SV 1000S

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RossK6, Oct 7, 2019.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

2005 SV 1000S
    The tach started oscillating this morning. It moves with engine speed, but oscillates +/- 1,000 rpm. When i got to the highway on ramp and opened the bike up, it accelerated all the way to 8k, then it was like the rev limiter kicked in. Ignition cut out, then came back. It runs great below 8k, just has this whacky tach and a new rev limit. I’ll be checking it over the next couple of days, but would appreciate any input.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that you have a loose connection at the ECU, possibly causing intermittent ignition, as indicated by the symptoms. Pull apart all of the connections from the staor to the ECU, and then from the ECU to the coils and ignition switch. It just seems electrical connection related if it came on this fast.

3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Check battery and charge rate, easy first step. Can make weird stuff happen with wonky voltage. Also worth checking the stator and rotor. We've
    seen several of the 1000 variety eat themselves.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Agree with this. Tach fluctuations can occur when proper voltage is not present, whether it's battery, AC current, or regulator.

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Sure enough, battery voltage is reading 12.48 volts. Looks like it’s time for another cheap battery.

6. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

While running or just static battery voltage? 12.4v static isn't really "bad". If when running, regulator or stator is likely bad. By eating themselves, I mean we've seen multiple sv,dl 1k rotors shed the magnets. Debris everywhere interfering with the ignition pickup... Just a thought or two. Hope it's easily sorted!