1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. My wife loves her Jeep, leave us alone :)

2. Stock fenders, buy a bunch of new take off sets, replace as needed. Think I’ve swapped out 9 fenders total so far. 5” lift is a bit much for my liking on a Jeep. A true 3.5 and 35’s are about all I need. There’s been a few times I’ve “thought” a bit more lift or 37’s would help off road but surely not worth the trade off.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah, they’re not cheap but they look far and away better than the other offerings. They claim the arched only offers an additional 3/4” of clearance over the flat. I was dead set on the arched until I found some pics of YJs with the flats. Seems to match the lines better.

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I remember reading something about the difference between arched and flat being less now, I think it used to be quite a bit of difference.

5. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

FD7BD520-747E-43EC-973F-B73158E5889D.jpeg
    Finally mocking up my dana 70 with 40’s. Used to think I’d never go bigger than 35’s....

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you can put 35's on the new jeeps, I have 33's on ours, no clearance issues, its a sport model but I changed it to rubicon springs and shocks that I bought off craigslist for $150.

7. Scotty87

Damn, coil overs too. That's badass.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yep, someone that knows good off-road suspension, not Bilstein.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  9. Scotty87

Anyone have an opinion on the best stock ride height shock for a YJ? I'm looking for the best there is, to try and damp the ride as much as I can. I know the leafs at all four corners will never be plush, just trying to do what I can.

Best I think I've found so far have been the EIbach Pro Truck, but there doesn't seem to be too much out there.

10. Scotty87

Damn the arches look good, though. I still may go that route.

11. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

40's are the new 35's

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Seems like it. What’s stupid is these clowns trying to turn them with a Pentastar and stock axles. Mall life, yo!

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What size are those tires? Mine's got the stock 33s and those look much beefier.

14. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I hear ya. I wheel with a guy that's running 37's on stock Rubicon parts. He hasn't broken anything yet and he's not afraid to wheel it hard, but he also doesn't do stupid stuff in it as far as spinning it and letting it bounce.

ducnut likes this.
  15. Those are 37’s. I think they are too big with that small of a lift. 35’s would look better IMO.

16. That’s the key right there. Every time I’ve broken stuff was my own fault and mostly avoidable. Instead of backing up and taking a new line for example once if started bouncing I just kept in it. Worst part is you know it’s dumb but do it anyway. I haven’t broken anything in a while. I do need to put my other axles back in as my Jeep currently has a 44 rear and 30 front while i tool the other ones out to add trusses to them. They were already sleeved but still flex.

r1owner likes this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Struggle buggies for life!

ducnut likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Best ride setup is to park it and daily drive a Corolla instead...seriously. They're just terrible. Best thing you can do is have some decent tires on it with good sidewalls, run them a little lower PSI to help absorb the bumps. And leave the shackles as loose as you dare..10-15 ftlbs maybe, and double nut them so they can't work their way loose.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a jeep..if you want a comfortable ride you bought the wrong vehicle.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member