1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, who is affected by GM strike and opinions....

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This explains the recent surge in BMW USA quality....:D

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don’t own it, just run it.

speedluvn likes this.
  3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Lol shut up.

G 97 likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What if they order a pizza?

Chris, CharlieY and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. Yes but others can/ will be either disciplined and/ or canned.

speedluvn likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I don't think this is what he said or meant. I think the bottom line is, do something that you have some passion for while embracing the daily challenges that every job presents etc.

Work is work. But you can still determine what job you do. I could never have a position that entailed checking my brain at the door and picking it up when leaving. Too each their own.

speedluvn likes this.
  7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I understood his position but even jobs that you love, or like a lot, after doing them for some time starts to be “routine”. I moved around within my agency about every 5 or so years because the positions become routine. They no longer present a challenge. Everyone’s different. I touched on it in the Rossi Crew chief change. To many, traveling and chasing the optimal set-up for the bike would be a dream job but for those that have been in that position for a while, they’ve had their fill of it. Not being home, away from family, the absence can/will be a strain on relationships and the travel issues that come with traveling and things that I probably wouldn’t think about. I’ve been thinking of a job that I would love and at this point in my life and I got nothing. Don’t get me wrong, my current position is ok, but its just work.
    Carry on - move on there’s nothing to see here.

G 97 likes this.
  8. Never. I could’ve been hired at the Windsor Chrysler plant that makes minivans straight out of high school. If I was short sighted that money was very attractive at the time but no way am I cut out for it. I need to feel like my brains working, some may not agree it works at all but it sort of kind of works in my mind.

9. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

When I first went back to working on forklifts I couldn't believe how easy it was to repair them. It was like I was literally using 10% of my brain. Going to different companies kept it from being totally boring. I always try to find a better way to do things to keep my days interesting. I probably bill 20 hours a week helping younger techs on the phone or at their location. You can make any job interesting if you try. I think most people become lazy because of all the technology today. I have customers that are dirty disgusting locations to super clean food and tech companies.I will be heading out to a customer in a bit that makes burial vaults , it's a creepy disgusting place with crap forklifts . I might not like it but I go and do my job and make the best of it. I also get to see how the make the vault my casket will go in someday lol.
    I never seem to think I have a boring day. You make your day or job what it is. By the way I'm not union but our other locations all are due to the fact you need to be to service companies at the airport or downtown. Their top scale is significantly less then mine.We do live in a country where if you don't like what you do there are plenty of jobs to change to.

pscook likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It's a uniquely American perspective that unions are bad and the executives making tens of millions at the top are the real victims.

I guess we really are just temporarily embarrassed millionaires ;)

rd400racer and pscook like this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s a uniquely American situation to state it’s believed that executives are victims when exactly no one has made that statement.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You should read post #2 again, slowly (feel free to move your lips - I won't judge). Then read the remaining posts in this thread which generally are critical of unions but don't touch on the second part of post #2 at all. That's called Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit. I'll let you Google that phrase and learn something new today.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I read it. Slowly, like you do.

Nowhere in there, outside of a really bad mescaline trip, could I even find a hint at anyone bitching that the execs are victims.

Perception isn’t reality when your perception is obscured by the fecal matter stuck to your eyebrows... :moon:

Rebel635 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're all making too much for the job they're actually doing...

dobr24, Jon Wilkens and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  15. RRRepsolRider

RRRepsolRider Well-Known Member

Some are I agree. Some aren’t. I know I don’t.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hmm. I'm ok with paying over and above to people making my sure my vehicle doesn't fail and kill me or that yours doesn't fail and come into my lane and kill me. Autoworkers jobs are not trivial. Hell even for that ninny Metalhead.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The individuals running an automated scrwedriver aren't really doing a lot for your safety. The engineers are, the people setting up the machines sure, those inspecting as well.

18. RRRepsolRider

RRRepsolRider Well-Known Member

I do 3 of the 4 you mentioned. I have jobs on my team that have safety measure for the crash test ratings. I do a bit of everything. I make sure what is done is done right. I never know when I’ll ride in one or my friends kids will be in one. There are those out there who close their eyes to problems big and small but it doesn’t happen on my squad.

I first worked on a team of ppl who had 20-40 yrs in at GM. Old, grumpy, bicker with one another over nothing. Their job was to test electrical components inside the cars, plug up a handheld computer and go through prompts, and I hated it. Too slow for me and too easy. I prefer challenges. I was made to leave for someone who had a ‘medical condition’ that refrained them from working. He played the system. I was awarded call back rights a while back. Wadded up the paper and kept my current job.

I can walk around 10 miles each night 6-7 days a week, hands get cut up every night, monitor my team of 7 ppl, and blah blah blah. I enjoy it because I stay busy and time goes by fast. I do put pride into what I do. Some don’t and that’s where you get the stories of ‘lazy GM ppl’ but not me. Had a job since I was 13 and I’m sure I’ll die with a wrench in my hand and a bike/quad/three wheeler or something with a big motor and fast enough to stupid shit on in front of me.

19. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Can someone tell me how much they actually pay a month for health insurance and how much they are asking for in the strike?

I'm sure they aren't paying shit compared to the rest of us lackeys.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Checked baggage is too easy to lose.

G 97 likes this.