1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dainese is Charging Sales Tax to Repair D-Air Suit?

Discussion in 'General' started by MurfSVR, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

That repair bill was more than my RST suit was brand new! I know safety and all but damn! :eek:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If he’s in the boroughs of NYC, that also changes things. Some things in the city are taxed that are not taxed outside the city.

3. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Do you really feel like the suit made a difference to your health in the crash?

In April I went down and the airbag deployed. I couldn’t really tell if I would have been worse of in another suit. But thought to myself I just need to buy another one because they take too long to get it fixed. Two weeks ago I sent them both my suit and still haven’t heard from them. It seems like the buttons are not making contact. It happened to me a year ago on a suit that was over a year old and it just happened to my new one that was about 6 months old.

I’ll wait for the large bill and see if I continue to buy into the dair.

4. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

There's nothing wrong with trying to figure out if you're getting screwed, whether it's one dollar or a hundred. I had three quarters to pay a seventy cent toll the other day, I went through Full Service in order to get my change. That's my goddamn nickel, and I want it.

The tired old argument comes up every time a racer questions the price of anything, "If you can't afford this new price increase, you can't afford to race." "Is this going to break your race budget?" "It's less than the cost of a set of tires...". Bullshit, it's my money, I worked for it and I choose how to spend it. When you want more of it, you damn well better have a good explanation as to why.

There are those that are not well-heeled enough to just absorb all price hikes and new charges as they come and say, "that's racin'". I guess we should have made better life choices. Let me go find some boots straps to pull myself up by.

Motofun352, MurfSVR and dobr24 like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Frugal doesn't describe you, Murf. 1% charge on your phone (your second post)? Too cheap to actually charge your phone? :D

MurfSVR likes this.
  6. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. My crash was a high speed front tuck low side. The suit inflated once I started to tumble in the grass. I’ve had similar crashes without D-Air and was fine but who knows what would have happened without it this time.

My biggest problem with the suit is how the shoulder blew out due to the airbag. I crashed my old alpinestars suit 4 times and have never had seams come apart like this.

My second problem with the experience is how long it’s taken to get the thing back. The suit should arrive sometime next week so that makes it a 8 week turnaround.

Apparently they sent their repair person to Italy for two weeks of Dainese continuing education - and that’s why mine took so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MurfSVR

I’m the guy who runs my battery down to 1% and then fully charge it every time to make the battery live longer [emoji23] - that’s frugal! Had my last iPhone for 5 years.

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Lol, gotta love how they have zero redundancy in place for their flagship product. Classic Italy.

My friend had a similar bill of $600. I was planning to jump to TechAir next year, but I think I'm going to keep using my Helite vest instead. What I'm really looking for is neck stability, and both systems are not quite there yet in terms of that. The Helite has its downsides and with a chest protector on its damn near unbearable in 90+ degree heat, but you can order a replacement quickly if you trash one and its held up to a lowside pretty well. Plus, you can just refill trackside.

The tech is pretty amazing, but I don't think it's fully evolve yet. Ideally, you'd be able to refill these units with your local trackside vendor. Now THAT would be awesome.

9. MurfSVR

Here’s the tax bulletin. I agree with you that tax is owed on the materials used in the repairs. However, I should not have to pay tax on the labor or the cost to ship the suit back to me.

[​IMG]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I leave mine on charge the entire time I'm at the house and mine last the same or longer.

FWIW - the old school stuff doesn't work on new batteries :D

MurfSVR likes this.
  11. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

The sale occurred in NY, Dainese needs to charge appropriate NY sales taxes and mail the check to your local taxing authorities.

I’m going to guess for ease of operation they are charging everyone CA sales tax and remitting the money to their local authorities.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think all that changed in the last couple of years, they'll be charging and paying NYS.

And just cuz, that tax statement above doesn't cover the 400 dollar repair as it's over the 110 listed, so you pay full taxes.

13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

You should read up on battery chemistries, lithium ions do not take well to deep cycling.

That old mantra is from the Nicad days.

Gorilla George and badmoon692008 like this.
  14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Gee....two of the biggest commie states in the nation...whodathunk...

15. rice r0cket

That's why TechAir has two charges in each vest, and allows you to swap between suits if necessary. IF you go down twice in a weekend, you should probably hang up your leathers anyways.

The tech is never fully evolved, rather continually evolving. If you look at the latest Alpinestars suits in MotoGP, they're extending protection all the way down to the hips now. It's up to you to determine your own personal minimum level of safety.

16. rice r0cket

Also, it seems as if both Dainese and Alpinestars deemed neck injuries were not statistically significant enough to warrant having the airbag pop out the top of the suit to stabilize the helmet, like they had in the mid 2000's.

But if that's important to you, by all means stick w/ the Helite.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The TechAir would be the route I'd go for an airbag suit, definitely. D-Air seems to be behind the times. Do the latest A* suits offer the hip protection you speak of, or is that GP-only tech right now?

18. rice r0cket

They do not, current retail vests only cover the ribcage (D-Air actually doesn't even provide that, and is mostly focused around the shoulders and collarbone). I only noticed it watching closely in some of the Red Bull Motorsports videos where they're messing around w/ the airbags.

Watch beginning around 9:20:

19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah Moto GP is running the next gen air bag, but all other classes run the production bag last I heard. You can see on the arm of Dovi that he has a round button next to the LED's which will be what the next version of the suits will have. Not sure how far out that is though.

You guys see the new GP Tech V3 and Racing Absolute suits yet? They are soooo bad ass. Finally a new version of the old Race Replicas in the new Absolute.

20. MurfSVR

Humble pie for dinner tonight.

I was wrong - sales tax laws have changed a lot in the last couple years....they can charge sales tax on the shipping cost. It’s criminal and still seems like a grey area when it pertains to repair services that companies are treating like a new suit is being sold if you as me but Dainese was correct for charging me sales tax.

SuddenBraking likes this.