1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with programmers in India

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Oct 12, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Anyone have any suggestions? Because if I don't hear something positive, I'm going to just go ahead and slit my wrists. Or go do a trackday. Or something.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Hire programmers in America?

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Man, I wish I could, but it’s a large project. I just don’t have 50K – 75K to spend on American programmers.

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You get what you pay for, then.

Dan Dubeau, r1owner, jksoft and 2 others like this.
  5. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

What about the Philippines?
    Better English spoken there....

Is the issue primarily a language barrier or lack of skill & competence on their side?

Have you tried searching on Upwork to see if there are any freelancers that could help you?

Not sure the nature and scope of what you are wanting to accomplish, but there are some smart guys on the forum you may want to contact....Cannoli and Venom come to mind right off the top of my head....

If you found one native speaking guy/gal who could manage and execute for you, that may be another way to get the work handled...

There is always a way....sometimes you just gotta dig a bit.... :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I have better luck with Romanians. They seem technically better and are great with communication.

Every time I’ve worked with Indian developers, theyve had one person we’d interact with. That person always turned out to be worthless. Technically poor and bad at communication. If that wasn’t the case, I could see projects going well. But ya.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, I own that fully. But, I have no other choice. I've been keeping this team busy for 12 years now. I would have spent 10x the amount in the USA, which would have been a non-starter.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

English is excellent... its the work quality, the blame games, the never owning up, etc. that wear me down. I've searched for years for someone that can execute competently and accurately, without me having to hold their pee-pee every time I need something done. Can't find anyone.

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I've been in IT for over 20 years now and deal with the India side of the team on a daily basis. Every now and then you get a good one that can think critically, but honestly it's rare. Overall, you use India for the lower level tier 2 tasks, then your other euro or US engineers for anything above. If they can't find a KB or rule to follow, they're lost. My team (storage) has a T3 tech in the US (me), Scotland, and India for 'round the clock coverage. I don't deal with the Indian tech much, but my fellow in Scotland can barely go a week without serious complaints about our Indian counterpart. Having spent some time at Microsoft, I can't say I have too many fond things to say about Indian anything IT. I'd do my best to give them the lower tier, easy work. Then save the harder stuff for your local team. I honestly wonder if all the headaches caused by using Indian techs and user frustration ever makes up for the $ saved.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I had to deal with their code when i did some work at Dogfish Head. They have no clue how to write PLC code!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

What kind of programming?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

asp.net mvc

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'll do it

aaronson, Phl218, MachineR1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I hear Russia has some good hax0rs.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

better than North Korea or China?? :D

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sorry for your experience with Bugdeep, et al.

It is literally a running joke with my wife and I: Pretending to toke a fatty, then passing it and saying in a heavy Indian accent, "...'Ere... your turn to code the work order..."

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Save now ($) pay later ($, lost time and won headache)

Or just use the engineering triangle

.............Good.......
    ............/........\......
    .....Cheap — Fast....

Pick two

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Big tech firms have hoovered up the best. Then we take the best of the best and move them over here, and resume hoovering over there.

Good luck.

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Indian companies are mostly fucking useless when you hire them to do any type of development. Custom apps, websites, whatever.

When you pay a lot of money for enterprise software and Indians call you they’re mostly fucking useless.

When you pay for Microsoft Azure and you need help and an Indian calls you, they’re mostly fucking useless.

Bugdeep and his buddies are mostly fucking useless in a general sense. Avoid them like the plague always unless you have zero choice. If you have zero choice, figure out how to do it yourself.

If you can’t do it yourself, hire a chimp before an Indian company. If you can’t hire a chimp, maybe a dog.

99% of the time if I run across an Indian voice on the other end of the line I know this is going to be a useless time wasting conversation. I say “Uh huh, uh huh. Just email me can’t talk right now” and get them off the phone as quickly as possible, without asking how many hamburgers their mom needs to do anal.

I’ve worked with Russians and other Eastern Europeans and I’ve mostly had excellent experiences.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The answer is no. Management has a hard time capturing the disutility of wasting time on Indians who don’t produce quality work, but an easy time measuring the dollars ‘saved’ by hiring them.

Phl218 likes this.