1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many track days a year

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffmack, Oct 4, 2019.

1. jeffmack

jeffmack Well-Known Member

how many track days a year do the novice/interm.guys average a year? I'm new to the track world and just looking for info to see if this is something I can do often enough to allow me to go all in on bike, equip, trailer etc etc
    thanks
    jmack

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

...as many as I could schedule and afford the 1st few years...

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

budget $10k a year for the track. That should get you about 10 track wknds.

4. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

You are going to get quite a few different answers. The answer is dependent upon your personality and bank account. I got in just wanting to do a few track days to have fun and hone my skills. However, that escalated quickly when I wanted to get into advance group. Then, maybe just a race or two now and then to get my laptimes down. Next thing you know you are racing the whole series battling for a regional championship. Next thing, your a coach for the local org and An expert racer and haven’t touched the street in 10years.
    But I also know guys that are very content riding the street and just coming out and doing a few track days a year in intermediate.

Miguelito, Hotfoot, k_cotter and 2 others like this.
  5. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Also, if you are a guy that has to go 100 percent when you do anything and have an addictive personality... God help you

Just speaking from experience

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

20 days @$500 per?? Seems high unless they are at barber or laguna or cota.
    If you can plan a month or 2 in advance there are lots of orgs that give significant discounts or early bird sign up discounts.

ToofPic and drop like this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

F track days, get a orange shirt and go race WERA, in the long run you'll be ahead. More fun and less bs

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It's about budget and ambition and desire.

How much can you afford?

How badly do you want to progress as a rider?

It's not a competition, it's a track day..and at the center of it all should having fun.

Racing versus Track days....the biggest differences to me:

Track Days you get more track time for your dollar and you can ride the events that fit your schedule.

Racing's more of a commitment. Each series has a schedule, each event has points on the line towards a end of season placing.
    So are you OK with gridding up occasionally for a shot at a weekend trophy here and there, or do you want to chase a #1 plate if the idea of really racing appeals to you?

TLR67 and busa99 like this.
  9. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

I think this was a good statement a few years back. The issue is with track days becoming so popular there aren’t any guys out there gridding up to race that haven’t been on track. Most of the amateurs have years experience on the track and run a good pace. The average pace and laptimes of the amateur grid is dropped dramatically. So in my opinion someone that goes from street to racing the closing speeds and not holding a race line is almost dangerous out there.
    At this time in the sport I support Doing a few track days first. Just my opinion.

tdelegram likes this.
  10. jeffmack

oh shit... i may be hosed...... not sure what this will turn into. I certainly have to start with trackways to find out. looking forward to it
    don't really have a street bike i want to take to a track day (Super Duke R) so id like to rent a 600 for a weekend to be certain its something I want to jump in with both feet. thanks for the replies and any advice.
    Jmack

track wagon and busa99 like this.
  11. TurboBlew

lol... renting a 600. Let us know how that works out... well you can take the Yamaha Champions School for a weekend and they supply new R6s $260o and you get to take away the fundamentals you could spend years trying to discover.

My suggestion... buy a prepped Xr100 OR ttr125 and do some mini racing. Its the exact same thing, in regards to fundamentals, but less crash risk & injury.

rk97 and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

Time for travel to tracks is also a decider. If you have work committment, etc. Its harder to travel farther and you want to get your rest especially during summer months.
    Setup and takedown packing time can put a damper on travel time to.
    Depends on how close you are to the tracks you want to ride.

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

In my area 2 tracks were available, Autobahn in Joliet and Blackhawk Farms in S. Beloit, IL. Track days were at the $185 range per day and toss in a hotel ($50-75) to avoid waking up and having 2hrs windshield time, a meal the previous night and a few beers added about $30. Stocked cooler full of water or Gatorade and some sandwiches and stolen ice from said hotel...I figured $300 per day.

14. CBob1k

CBob1k Well-Known Member

This is absolute bullshit.

15. TurboBlew

what is?? The fundamentals or injury risk?? I cant wait to hear this one...lol

16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Probably not how it came across. Figure on the east coast 200-250 per day plus driving, tolls, food, drinks, gas, power and camping.

gapman789 and track wagon like this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Contact Emerson at BobbleheadMoto. He's a Control Rider for N2 and he has some bikes I believe he will rent out for a Track Day. Dude's a straight up solid guy and corners low. If you're on the East Coast and can drive to an N2 event...he can probably help you out.

rk97 and Emerson like this.
  18. Emerson

Emerson BobbleHeadMoto

I rent bikes at most N2 trackdays. Send me a PM and we can discuss.
    Thank you.

19. CBob1k

CBob1k Well-Known Member

I was referring to the crash & injury risk, which is why I bolded it.

20. jeffmack

Thanks for the reply and the info on Emerson. PM sent
    jmack