1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bear !

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

2. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Bear was just checking for a fishing report.:crackup:

K51000 likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

He wasn't in the mood for white meat that day. :eek:

SpeedyE and K51000 like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He needs to lower his cholesterol.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have been in a similar situation. It was not that much fun and I felt seriously undergunned with a 1911 in 45ACP. I was able to move down river and circle around to find a new fishing spot. I left that gravel bar to the bear and her cubs. Less than two weeks later a fisherman in the same spot on the Kenai River was attacked by, most likely, the same bear. He emptied his Browning Hi-Power into it and killed her. I never take fishing in bear territory lightly and never go unarmed.

K51000 likes this.
  6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Jebus, I couldn't imagine turning around and seeing that......

K51000 likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Chances this was faked to get the photog some publicity?

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Fake news? C'mon man!

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

No reason to, there are bears all over in Katmai. Plenty of fisherman, too.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

first you say it, then you do it.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Bears everywhere up there. This was a bear viewing trip my wife and I took this summer. 48 brown bears within eyesight at once. It was truly amazing. These photos are with an iPhone. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SpeedyE and Funkm05 like this.
  12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

With all this bear spotting experience, can any of you answer the eternal question?

Do they really sh!t in the woods?

K51000 and dtalbott like this.
  13. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

The guys fishing did!

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Well I was in a rather large field but considering they had us wearing knee high waders due to all the scat we would be stepping in I can pretty definitively give you a big affirmative on that.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah but you were in a field, not the woods. :Poke: :D

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

But that wasn't bear poop. That was from the previous tours.

badmoon692008, SpeedyE and Steeltoe like this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yall gettin @beac83 excited, now... quitit... :crackup:

18. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I remember watching one of those wild alaska vids or something like that, dude just always kept a can of bear pepper spray on him. Even showed one unhappily coming up to him with cubs nearby. He shot one spray and away she went. It was kind of amazing how calm the guy was, like it was just an every day occurrence. I actually wonder if a can of the spray isn't a better deterrent. Teaches the bears to fear humans and stay away vs just being shot. Purely me "just wondering" as I never have any intention of being in bear country. Small black bears in the eastern US notwithstanding.

K51000 likes this.
  19. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Family in Big Sky MT tell me that the black bears that come into town have become immune to bear spray, or at least they have learned to deal with it and they don't just turn and run like they used to. It must be from the constant exposure to it. So it depends on if it's a frequent flyer bear or not. Out there they are just giant rats breaking into everything to steal food, but get out of town and you run into the big boys.

K51000 likes this.
  20. I could. You’d see a news story “fisherman scares bear off my shitting his pants”.

dtalbott likes this.