1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bombshell - Garrett Gerloff to GRT Yamaha WSBK for 2020!

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Oct 1, 2019.

1. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

www.WORLDSBK.com

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As long as the bike doesn't shake like a leaf in the wind going down straights like his old Panigale used to.

3. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

It did. Not as bad as the Panigale did, but I think he had that issue at the round in Thailand (?) this year.

4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

He had that issue at more than just Thailand. I remember seeing it happen at PI and maybe Aragon as well. Marco is weird and he needs a weird geometry to ride a bike fast which results in that rear end shuffle down.

KMC likes this.
  5. Really pumped for GG and now really looking forward to next year.

But out of curiosity, why not Cam? He has more time with Yamaha, more time on a Superbike, is more successful, represented himself well when he went into WSBK to fill in before, and is still young.

I’m not knocking or doubting GG at all. I am just curious what made them choose GG over Cam.

cav115, code3ryder and 418 like this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm no insider, but my hunch would be Cam is probably a more expensive option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

noles19 and 418 like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think it has been established that he wanted the job.

10MM and Senna like this.
  8. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I think that too. I think Garrett was going to be less picky too. I know Jake Zemke is a respected guy, but there could be some manager politics / connections at play, and doors Ben opened up for Garrett. That is just speculation though.

I think Garrett is pretty much a single 24yo, with a ton of talent, who has the desire to take some chances. I think he’ll do well. When guys like Toni are saying you’re the “complete package”, you’re probably pretty fast and going to be pretty successful.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    ducnut and The Great One like this.
  9. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

This is where I take a grain of salt. Isn't Garrett dating Toni's sister? When I hear shit like that I feel like it's the Hayden clan pumping Roger up.

10. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they broke up a while ago, but I try to stay out of reading into / caring about that kind of stuff. That’s their business.

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I swear this gets brought up every week. Cam is happy earning a paycheck here with a near guarantee at winning a championship every year. He's much like Mladin in a sense. Why give up a guaranteed paycheck and bonuses, being home every weekend, etc. to potentially spend a bunch of your own money to run top 5 for a few years.

Im sure if Yamaha offered Cam enough money to race in Europe, he would have done it, but right now I bet life is very comfortable for him.

rhinorsv, evakat, Newyork and 3 others like this.
  12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

He prayed harder.

13. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

So...when will there be an official announcement (other than the Speedweek article mulched through Google translator)?

badmoon692008 and AC1108 like this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's on the beeb. It's already official.

15. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Only thing I see is he’s “in line” for the seat.

16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Soooo. What’s the new Texas nickname going to be? So excited to have an American to cheer on along cheering Johnny and a handful of the other riders I like. Good on Ben to get a deal going. Although I think I’d rather ride for Ron. That Ten Kate team knows how to build bikes.

17. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Sounds like its time for another Mancation. I'm sure Colin and Ben could find him a nickname.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Probably should have learned Eyetalion since he is moving to Italy...:D

Steeltoe and Dave250 like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

Want to succeed in MotoGP? Learn Spanish.
    Want to succeed in World Superbikes? Learn Italian.
    Want to succeed in EWC? Be born French. :D

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

More like if you're American and you want to be taken seriously in your European racing adventure learn either one of them.